When is a swarm not a swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemage

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 ish
my question is when you take a swarm what are the factors which need to be in place before they become a 'Hive' or 'Nuc'. To be sold on?

My thoughts would just be some time, in that they would need to have drawn the comb, evidence of laying and not drone laying, no diseases and of good temper and obviously of the right size to be called Nuc or Hive.
Is there anything else I haven't thought of?

On 6 frames, 4 frames brood, laying queen, 1 frame minimum stores, good laying pattern and disease/temperament OK, on the assumption you might wish to sell.

Minimum 5 weeks after hiving a prime swarm I would imagine....

Last edited:
Or you could give it to a new beek who is just starting out, now that would be a nice thing to do as it didn’t cost you much. Are you a member of the IoW association by any chance?:eek:

Or you could give it to a new beek who is just starting out, now that would be a nice thing to do as it didn’t cost you much. Are you a member of the IoW association by any chance?:eek:

not worthy

Not the last time i checked, perhaps IOW could have silpped in a sneaky direct debit with out me seeing?

Now i didnt say how much i would look for in terms of money or even that i would.

What i was after was advise on what things i would need to consider if that was a route. I thought it could also help others who were looking to buy.

nothing to buy here move along......

:)

Age of queen. Most nucs are either sold as "this years queen" or in spring as over wintered queen thus winter proven.

PH

twenty quid and you deliver I'll take it.
see your not such a bad chap. and it's good for the soul well done you:reddevil:

Latest posts

Back