when does frost kill off the ivy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had two hard frosts now and still I spotted a little ivy pollen being brought in

When does the ivy finish?

This depends on where you live,what the weather is like and where the ivy is. In my part of the world, ivy was over three weeks ago. I would not normally expect it to be on flower now.
Cazza

pollen

They were still bring pollen in here in Oscroft nr Chester today.

Dave W

Plenty of pollen here today on the Sussex Riviera. Where the Ivy is in deep shade it will flower much later in drips and drabs at least untill mid December, but it does depend on the weather. Cold and damp equals not much pollen!

Loads of our ivy is still in bud stage! I just think ours has a genetic fault!
E

Most of my local ivy is on house walls so benefits from Central Heating......

Ivy still in flower around Sheffield and surrounding area, still plenty in bud, ivy seemed a little later this year because of the mild autumn. No hard frosts yet.

Ivy is still in flower here, half a dozen buttercups on the 'lawn' and a lonely Philadelphus blossom too.

Lots of Ivy in flower and buds ready to flower here in Cambridge

Had a hard frost here 2 days ago and the ivy still flowering.
Bees really busy today.

Had a hard frost here 2 days ago and the ivy still flowering.
Bees really busy today.

In my part of Sussex the bees are out in great numbers on Mahonia, as Heather suggested.
The plant is ungainly and annoying most of the year, but in November, when covered in bees, one can appreciate it, as its flowering is very reliable and there are lots of the flowers.
The ivy is still flowering in some of the cultivated varieties. I have also seen bees in the autumn crocus.
Only seventy or so days until spring crocusses, ir we're lucky :)

Latest posts

Back