When does drone exclusion occur

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxnatbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Presumably this varies across the country and with forage levels.

What factors determine when it occurs?

When do you see it in your hives?

Do all hives do a forced exclusion, or do some just wait for the drones to die off once the queen stops laying them?

July to September/October.
Not happened here year: usually end August but each hive varies.

It varies here and from hive to hive. What I’ve noticed is that one or two colonies end up with the ones that have been chucked out.

As others, it varies but it can be quite illuminating to lift a hive which still has a lot of drones off its floor in the second half of August/early September because you'll often see the drones all corralled on the bottom board without food, to weaken them in preparation for expulsion. I know this isn't a necessary action but it must certainly make the worker's job easier.

Any time or not at all (well, not all the drones - usually, I suspect, when there is a virgin queen present).

Sometimes can be an indication that a colony is superseding it’s queen - lots of drones in that hive when others are throwing them out
I have that. One new homegrown queen still laying. Two supercedure cells. Masses of drones in there.

Do some late queen rearing Nucs and surrounding colonies will keep the boys around longer than a site down the road.

6th of July after 3 weeks of poor foraging. The capped drone brood in the hive was left unharmed.

Attachments

• VID_20210706_140049.mp4
    40.2 MB

Latest posts

Back