• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bees For Sale What's the going rate for a nuc or full sized colony?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My initial thought at this time of year when there are plenty of people willing to get rid of splits accumulated during the season is about £150 for a nuc. Keep it over winter and you would get £250+

I generally charge between £80 and £100 locally. They are generally part of my swarm control. Don't want to make increase in my stock (my wife is able to count beyond 10!) and am happy to help out beginner beekeepers who have had to fork out for starting kit so I'm happy to cover the cost of the frames and foundation in the nuc. Having said that I usually only have one or two per year.

Full size colony £310+
Nuc £220+
Whatever time of year I haven’t spent time grafting and rearing stock to give it away for peanuts!
But you’re a farmer.
Some hobby keepers help each other out. I give nucs away to beginners, asking waxed frames in return.
If I’ve put a good queen in then I might charge for her.

But you’re a farmer.
Some hobby keepers help each other out. I give nucs away to beginners, asking waxed frames in return.
I still see bfs selling there stock on the cheaper side .

£150 summer or spring unless a very good Q then £170-£180
I only sell c 5-6 a year.

But you’re a farmer
I see it differently: that Mark values his work. The fact that he makes his living from bees is irrelevant.

If amateur beekeepers paid a proper price for bees it might persuade them to manage them better.

Similarly, local honey is still given away by some at £3/lb yet others (garden-gate hobby or pro) value it realistically, and get it.

I wish people would buy my honey at what I value it...sadly not
Of course if you build a reputation for being the best you can charge what you like and folk will still pay

produce lots I suppose you can sell more cheaply
If I produced lots I'd over-winter them and sell in spring at £250.

If a beefarmer had lots in mid-summer and didn't want the work to get them through to spring, yes, get rid of them cheaply in summer and let someone else run the risk of winter loss.

I’m rather with mark on this…. He’s actually rather cheaper than the normal suppliers.
Then I stand corrected. And my apologies to Curly
Mark's nucs are cheaper than BS at £275
I subscribe to Patrick Laslett's site buying and selling and nucs are much cheaper than that. I suppose if you simply have surplus splits you can afford to shift them cheaply for convenience.
I thought the OP was asking as hobbyist and hobby beekeepers tend to undercharge as they have a small audience

I’m rather with mark on this…. He’s actually rather cheaper than the normal suppliers.
I was going to say I paid around that figure what I’m charging for a nuc in 2021

When I put my ball park figure prices at the start of this thread they were based on what a hobbyist would want at the moment. They just want to get rid and not have to worry about overwintering them.

But you’re a farmer.
I have sold surplus colonies to fellow association new members for 100 pounds plus replacement frames and foundation. They either borrow the box and return it or bring their own. It gets them a foothold into the world of beekeeping. Normally my association sets up new beeks on their practical course on this basis but occasionally they have more newbies than available colonies which is where I helped out (and it helps defray my expenses without the palaver of official auction entry inspections, transport and auction fees).

If amateur beekeepers paid a proper price for bees it might persuade them to manage them better.
There's always the viewpoint that beginners need encouragement. Having invested significant sums in equipment it helps if they can make a start without overkill on their first step into our world. YMMV

Latest posts

Back