What's the difference - between Frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilG

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm looking to buy some new frames.

Ive been looking at various suppliers, but can anyone explain the difference between DN1 / SN1, DN4 / SN4, DN5, B.S. Manley, 14 x 12 and Comm.16 x 10 / 16 x 6 Frames?

I've got a BS National Hive and am looking to purchase some new brood and super frames.

Best regards

PhilG:)

I'm looking to buy some new frames.

Ive been looking at various suppliers, but can anyone explain the difference between DN1 / SN1, DN4 / SN4, DN5, B.S. Manley, 14 x 12 and Comm.16 x 10 / 16 x 6 Frames?

I've got a BS National Hive and am looking to purchase some new brood and super frames.

Best regards

PhilG:)

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=856 list the sizes and such.

if you take a look at the Thornes or Maisemores web sites, they have a pictoral guide that show the difference in top bar and side bar dimensions.

sorry this isn't much more use to you, but in this case a picture really does say a thousand words :)

This confused me a lot when I first started but I think that you need to see them in action before you make your mind up whats best. You can also put frames on castellations within the hive to ensure the correct spacing or have flat runners with spacers. I watched a few manipulations at our local association apiary so I could see how they worked. I use DN2 in the brood box with plastic spacers and SN4 in the supers. That way there are no plastic ends to remove when extracting honey. I ended up with a mix of various frames to start with before I came to this conclusion.

DN1 goes in standard depth national brood boxes and SN1 goes in supers. Both of these need some sort of spacer or castellation to get the spacing right.

DN4 and SN4 are self spacing as the side bars are wider for part of the way down the bar. I find that my bees propolise these a lot more than the DN1 or DN2 types.

Not sure what DN5 are but someone will be along soon to explain.

BS Manley again dont need spacers as the side bars are thicker all the way down to the bottom.

The other types you mention are for deeper versions of the national brood box or for commercial hives so you dont want them.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Frames sizes

Hi Phil,

DN 1 has no suitable spacing size and normally requires spacing clips at the top of the lugs. A well known store also have spacing strips that are nailed to the Brood box this allows for either 9, 10, 11, 12 frame spacing depending on which is purchased, But this is normally used in the Supper only.

DN 5 have wider Vertical parts to provide natural spacing for 11/12 frames in a National

B.S is British Standard

14 X 12 is the new (ish) slightly bigger National Hive I.e 14 x 12 or jumbo.

not sure of other sizes but I use DN1 and DN5 in my Nationals

I hope this helps

Regards Al

Hi Phil,

DN 5 have wider Vertical parts to provide natural spacing for 11/12 frames in a National

B.S is British Standard

14 X 12 is the new (ish) slightly bigger National Hive I.e 14 x 12 or jumbo.

DN4 and DN5 have the wider 35mm Hoffman self spacing sides but DN4 have narrow top bars like DN1 and DN5 have the wider top bars the same as DN2

14x12 use to be called ED(extra deep) ie ED4 or ED5 with hoffmans side bars and the 4 and 5 being whether they had narrow or wide top bars , but as you cannot get narrow ED side bars like a DN1 or DN2 they get called just 14x12s with T1 or t2 top bars

commercial frames are short lugged frames and only go in commercial size boxes .Commercial boxes are of a different design to a modified BS national box but have about the same dimension so stack together ( 465mm rather than 460mm square)

you can mix any of the national frames ie DN1,2,3,4 and DN5 in the same box in an emergency but you get more bur comb and it look odd

Manley frames are the devils invention and are very wide SN frames and also have differnt bottom bars

Last edited:
DN4 and DN5 have the wider 35mm Hoffman self spacing sides but DN4 have narrow top bars like DN1 and DN5 have the wider top bars the same as DN2

14x12 use to be called ED(extra deep) ie ED4 or ED5 with hoffmans side bars and the 4 and 5 being whether they had narrow or wide top bars , but as you cannot get narrow ED side bars like a DN1 or DN2 they get called just 14x12s with T1 or t2 top bars

commercial frames are short lugged frames and only go in commercial size boxes .Commercial boxes are of a different design to a modified BS national box but have about the same dimension so stack together ( 465mm rather than 460mm square)

you can mix any of the national frames ie DN1,2,3,4 and DN5 in the same box in an emergency but you get more bur comb and it look odd

Manley frames are the devils invention and are very wide SN frames and also have differnt bottom bars
I know I am now an old fart ( despite an organic diet ) but when I started in 1976 eveything worked perfectly. The 'accountants' have moved in and decided that a bit shaved off frames here and there will save money when thousands of items are produced. Sadly the bees don't see this as they want their 'space'. Will we never learn?

CHESHIRE Beeks have a wonderful web page describing all the frame spacing etc etc
Google Cheshire beekeepers frame spacing.......

Bee careful tho 5/16" is a golden number..........................................................
..thats just 0.021 short of a barlecorn (1/3rd inch)

Question for the tractor collectors of this world...

How many DN4 sidebars coulds be made from 1 Hoppas foot of beech wood?

CHESHIRE Beeks have a wonderful web page describing all the frame spacing etc etc
Google Cheshire beekeepers frame spacing.......

Bee careful tho 5/16" is a golden number..........................................................
..thats just 0.021 short of a barlecorn (1/3rd inch)

Question for the tractor collectors of this world...

How many DN4 sidebars coulds be made from 1 Hoppas foot of beech wood?
Notning re frames to be seen so has it been hidden for some reason?

PH

Latest posts

Back