Thxxnes frames sale query

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello all

Having finally got round to checking the above iconic "New year Sales" items (received 4 weeks + after ordering but that is potentially a different thread) I find that the 14 x 12 frames are a very poor fit. The bottom bars really flop about in the slots of the side bars. When I insert the same bottom bars into the SN1 side bars purchased, the fit is acceptable. So the culprit appears to be the 14 x 12 side bars (all 400 of them)

Having bought "you now who's" Sales products for 10+ years, this is by far the worst experience for me. I have had a quick search on here for similar experiences and can't see any hits.

Anybody??

Hi Fred, I would give them a call. I use 14x12 and have noticed that the bottom bars seem slightly thicker normally. I have in the past just grabbed a bundle of bottom bars off the shelf in the garage when making up and they can split the side bars of SN1's as you have to knock them in as they are tight, later when making 14 x 12's I grab the slightly smaller ones and they are loose. I keep them with their respective counterparts now.
It may become that they have been picked and packed incorrectly.

Similarly top bars on 14x12 are slightly wider.

Do the top price, first/best quality 14x 12 frames have the same problem?

I've had a label on seconds saying only to be used with whatever side bars. I've also experienced similar to Pete D.

The bottom bars supplied with my 14x12 are very tight and a number have split the side bar as I've assembled them. So it seems we need to swap!

time for a measure

yes

I don't have that great a garage stock to swap components - this is the garage stock. To repeat all my frames for last 15 years (with one exception of first quality 14's from mxxxemore (so good sacriledge to use in a hive) have come from thxxnes sale. these are so bad a fit you can really see the gap. i'm really not sure which is the real culprit now but suffice to say that the 200 quantity are pretty useless as a combo.

off to work (hence silly hour) but will get digital measuring thingy out if its box tonight.

FB

The bottom bars supplied with my 14x12 are very tight and a number have split the side bar as I've assembled them. So it seems we need to swap!

This is not the first year I've encountered this issue. The problem is quickly rectified with a Stanley knife. A shallow chamfering of the ends, on both sides, quickly fixes reduces the bottom bar width for the required rebate. As it's nailed in and propolised by the bees it doesn't have to be spot-on tight.

Last edited:
The problem is quickly rectified with a Stanley knife. A shallow chamfering of the ends, on both sides, quickly fixes reduces the bottom bar width for the required rebate. As it's nailed in and propolised by the bees it doesn't have to be spot-on tight.

:iagree:

The whole thing is going to be stuck together with propolis and comb which they will build over everything - so what's the big problem. The clue is in the phrase 'second quality' and the price

With JBM here. Cheap often means less than best.

Are these bars not pinned in place? That should be the simple fix. I have always found the bottom bars to be the correct length and that is the main requirement for me - getting the frames square is more important and simply being able to fit bottom bars flush with the side bars makes assembly quick and accurate. If a little too tight, one can always have a piece of reasonably coarse gritted abrasive paper available for a quick scrub with the ends.

I use a Stanley knife and just take a sliver off each end. They fit perfectly then. Only takes a second.
E

Quickest fix is to put the bottom bar on the bench and simply tap the ends with a tacking hammer, no need for cutting or sanding.
As I said in my first reply, I've bought frame packages and there was a label stating use of those bottom and side bars together, this implied different dimensions and the SN1's were slightly thinner.

Hate to say it but YouTube Videos of Americans putting Man Lake frames together has made think they may have something. Simplicity is Genius, as they say.

Latest posts

Back