What's it for?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megadyptes

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I had a new smoker arrive today, all looks fine to my novice eyes, but in amongst the bubble wrap was a small bit of bent metal (see below). I've no idea what it might be for, or whether it's even part of the smoker. Any ideas?

Untitled.png

Its for holding the bellows shut when not in use........

And suddenly everything becomes clear...

I would not worry ... you'll lose it in the grass the first time you take the smoker out in anger .... or if the grass is as long as mine you'll probably lose the whole smoker if it goes out ! I'm not a fan of the between the knees method of holding the smoker ...

Springs compressed. & bellows creased all the time, dont use it, it will shorten the life of the bellows.

I would not worry ... you'll lose it in the grass the first time you take the smoker out in anger .... or if the grass is as long as mine you'll probably lose the whole smoker if it goes out ! I'm not a fan of the between the knees method of holding the smoker ...

I visited my apiary today, and I noticed lots of yellow circular spots on the grass....I was puzzled as to what it was for a few minutes, it looks like small aliens have landed, and created crop circles...

and then I remembered, oh it's me when I put the smoker down!:icon_204-2:

keeping the bellows closed when not in use will both weaken the spring, and create stress points in the bellows fabric where the fabric is creased.
(a compressed spring has more internal stresses than an uncompressed one, and a folded material has stretch stress on the outside of the fold and compression stress on the inside of the fold)

best thing for that clip - throw it.

An in transit security locking and packaging device.

Latest posts

Back