Whats in a flow.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bound to upset people once more

Well, not me for one. I am in entire agreement with you on this one.

Regards, RAB

I'm bound to upset people once more

Well, not me for one. I am in entire agreement with you on this one.

Regards, RAB

You two should get along great!;) Was not the OP saying a bee will work one plant for nectar or pollen per trip until something better turns up? Why all the pedantic's, does it really matter in the great scheme of things?:)

<I really can't see how any bee is ever tied to one "job" for life>

No field bee is ever tied to one 'job' for life. Nobody said that other than someone used the word 'monogamy' and some took this to mean 'for life' rather than its correct meaning, 'having only one sexual partner at any one time.'

They are indeed 'plant specific' until that plant either finishes for the day or the plant has finished its flowering season or there is a better option.

Pollen is very 'expensive' for most plants to produce. Nature has it that the pollen from one species of flower goes to the same type in the most efficient and effective manner. Bees have developed such a synergy with flowers.

I'm finished with this thread as it's going around in a circle.

Was not the OP saying a bee will work one plant for nectar or pollen per trip until something better turns up?

Err, I don't think so, here is the OP.

I understand that a flow is on when the bees are obviously busy.

I observe full pollen sacs and can see the obvious signs of honey being capped within comb that is being drawn. I can see a multitude of different colours contained in pollen stores

I don,t get how keepers are able to say that bees are foraging on certain plants;

Unless you can witness them foraging and returning to your hive; Unless you can colour code the pollen upon entry - How do you know where they are working . I read some keepers saying a certain flow Ivy, Lime etc is on. How do I know and what signs should I be reading

Its all a bit of a confusing mystery at the moment.

As for being pedantic, well yes, I am, I find all the waffle and stuff "I had in a dream" or "I read in a book" or "Heard down the pub" a waste of space and not very helpful for people that are new to Bee keeping.

Chris

<As for being pedantic, well yes, I am, I find all the waffle and stuff "I had in a dream" or "I read in a book" or "Heard down the pub" a waste of space and not very helpful for people that are new to Bee keeping.>

Try studying for the Intermediate Certificate, you'll learn an awful lot.

There are posters here who have done this, don't dismiss what they have to say as 'waffle.' otherwise there is no point to this forum.

Oooooooooooo, now, now, you don't know what I know or don't know.:cool:

..... and there is plenty of waffle on here - it's a forum, allows for all sorts of things.:rolleyes: I just hope that new bee keepers don't take everything they are told as Gospel, cos it ain't.

Did someone ask about a flow? What is a flow? How do you know what flow the bees are on?

Chris

So, all you that know, where does the waggle dance fit into all this?

I'm bound to upset people once more but this is gradually turning into stating the blindingly obvious.

Pollen will be taken generally but not uniquely in the earlier part of the day based on the demands of the colony and does not have to be from a nectar producing plant, (e.g. hazel, grasses, maize and the like, all big pollen providers).

Chris

I didn't know that bees collect pollen from grasses? I thought the pollen was too small, coming from wind-pollinated plants?

Grasses mainly depend on wind dispersal of their pollen.

But as Brendan Beehan said; 'Every cripple has their own way of walking.'

Last edited:
Yes huntsman, grasses do indeed mainly depend on wind or simple pollen drop for their pollination as does maize, however bees also make good use of certain varieties of grass for pollen even if the grass doesn't require it. The photo is of Cocksfoot and for a period of about two weeks it is the main source of pollen for bees in certain locations where it is abundant. Maize is well know for being a major source of pollen for bees where it is grown even though it also receives no benefit from the bees attentions.

Not quite sure what physical disabilities have to do with the subject though, perhaps this isn't the right forum.

Chris

I have a large acreage of maize planted around my apiary, standing 3 - 4 feet high, not yet in flower. Can anyone tell me if this could turn into a late nectar source or is it as useless as the potatoes that surrounded me last year? Does it be sprayed off before flowering? Not had maize here before.

Thanks

When you are looking for apiary sites you would be looking for a number of factors, such as old permanent pasture with old wild clover, areas of bramble, broad leaved trees etc. Also try to be aware of other apiaries in the area.
However you may need to try a site over a couple of years to see if you get a good return.
Obviously if you are in a town environment you may not have this option, but you can still look around to see what possible forage is available.
For each possible flow you need to be aware of the climatic conditions at the time, also check the hive entrance look for bees fanning in the evening, watch how they return laden, try and match the main pollen colour to the source.
Smell the hive entrance you can smell fresh nectar coming in.
Basically you need to be a little bit of a climatologist and botanist.

Latest posts

Back