Whats in a flow.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dryar

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I understand that a flow is on when the bees are obviously busy.

I observe full pollen sacs and can see the obvious signs of honey being capped within comb that is being drawn. I can see a multitude of different colours contained in pollen stores

I don,t get how keepers are able to say that bees are foraging on certain plants;

Unless you can witness them foraging and returning to your hive; Unless you can colour code the pollen upon entry - How do you know where they are working . I read some keepers saying a certain flow Ivy, Lime etc is on. How do I know and what signs should I be reading

Its all a bit of a confusing mystery at the moment.

Thanks.

Knowing what flowers are in season
what colour pollen they produce
visual confirmation - ie seeing Bees on certain plants
and a bit of guesswork

Pollen microscopy....... and even DNA analysis.... would give you the definitive answer!

All a bit "DEEP BEEKEEPING" for most... but fascinating if you get into it!

Enjoy just watching them.

Hi Dryar,

We have a pollen colour guide which indicates which plants you bees may be visiting at what time of year, and the colours of the pollen they bring in.

At the moment, ours seem to be foraging on Himalayan balsam (White), rosebay willow herb (dark greeney grey), lime (orange), and meadowsweet (bright green), plus something yellow...there's lots of privet and hogweed where I am, so maybe it is those. It's not an exact science, but has certainly made me look more closely at what grows and when, where I live.

We got the colour chart from M-more, but I'm sure they are fairly ubiquitous and any supplier of bee bits would have one. It's just a pocket sized guide, and with this, you can colour code the pollen, as you say. If you can't find one, PM me and I'll send some more details.

Good luck with your pollen spotting!

LJ

I don,t get how keepers are able to say that bees are foraging on certain plants;

Observation....pollen in pollen sacs of returning bees. Pollen in pollen sacs of bees you see on plants in your travels, a honey bee is "monogamous" to one plant. Different hives have a different spectrum of pollens on the same apiary.

Observation....pollen in pollen sacs of returning bees. Pollen in pollen sacs of bees you see on plants in your travels, a honey bee is "monogamous" to one plant. Different hives have a different spectrum of pollens on the same apiary.
i saw one yesterday with two different coloured pollens green and yellow it looked very striking.
i wasnt fast enough with my camera tho. id never seen it before

a honey bee is "monogamous" to one plant.

I find that a bit hard to believe, perhaps you could direct me to the science on that one. thanks.

On the wider subject of "flows", the first thing is to know your bees foraging range and what is in it throughout the season, what they prefer when it's available and importantly what minimum temperature is required for specific flowers to produce nectar. e.g. at the moment there are several fields of sunflowers in flower where I am BUT the bees can only gather pollen from them as the temperatures have been too low to "get the nectar to flow". Equally some flowers will have required rainfall at certain times in their development or perhaps a tree will require a high water table level for a "good nectar flow".

Like I said, very interested in the honey bee being "monogamous" to one plant.

Chris

<I find that a bit hard to believe, perhaps you could direct me to the science on that one. thanks.>

It makes pollination efficient and effective.

It makes pollination efficient and effective.

Perhaps you could expand on the science of that one? I would have thought the bees would not even consider that aspect, when foraging. It may be an effect of 'mono' pollen collection, but certainly more fortuitous than scientifically calculated.

I think bees go for easy pickings - whatever is most abundant, beneficial to the bees and closest to the hive - It makes sense, maximum yield for minimum energy expended (sound like stockbrokers!) - although I am sure they benefit from a multifloral diet. when the ivy flow is on you can't miss it - bees all over the ivy flowers (and not many other flowers in abundance thebn), rich yellow pollen dripping off the bees as they return to the hives and the unmistakable aroma of ivy nectar being processed - I love to watch them on the ivy and if I could figure out how to get it out of the combs without melting the wax I would process it as I like ivy honey .....

Mono Bees

As I understand it the bees will only visit one type of flower per trip, but could take lots of different flowers throughout yhe working day

I agree with Mono for the simple reason that all flowers do not reach the peak of their nectar flow at the same time of day. But once they're on a flower type they stick with it, until something better presents itself.

Witness Stock and Honeysuckel for example that are most fragrant in the evening, (not saying these are bee forage.)

Pollen huntsman, we are talking in this instance about pollen. This will frequently be taken from a different source to the nectar.

Once again I ask for the science, a little evidence please because I really find it hard to believe that a honey bee is "monogamous" to one plant either for pollen or for nectar.

Chris

Just checked what David Aston and Sally Bucknhall have to say in their book 'Plants and Honeybees - their relationship.'

'Foraging bees will continue to work the plant until pollen availability and/or the nectar flow ceases, or there is a superior source elsewhere.'

Chris, whoever use the word 'monogamous' used much too strong a word. It's not for life.

Let's just say bees are largely plant specific depending on time and circumstance.

I agree with Mono for the simple reason that all flowers do not reach the peak of their nectar flow at the same time of day. But once they're on a flower type they stick with it, until something better presents itself.

Witness Stock and Honeysuckel for example that are most fragrant in the evening, (not saying these are bee forage.)

I've often witnessed honey bees taking advantage of Evening primrose ,early in the morning before the sun shrivels the flowering heads :)
Watching them flying away whilst trying to tuck away the 'y' shaped pollen grains which invariably end up being towed behind rather like advertising banners on light aircraft always fascinates me :)

VM

I'm bound to upset people once more but this is gradually turning into stating the blindingly obvious.

Honey bees take whatever forage is available throughout the course of a day/week/year whatever.

Some nectar flows will be more attractive than others to the bees and flows will be produced at different times of the season/day and are dependant on preceding and current weather and temperatures.

Pollen will be taken generally but not uniquely in the earlier part of the day based on the demands of the colony and does not have to be from a nectar producing plant, (e.g. hazel, grasses, maize and the like, all big pollen providers).

I think that, (note "think that") Honey bees will switch to whatever is available at any given moment, which by the nature of things must change all the time. I really can't see how any bee is ever tied to one "job" for life, except the Queen.

OP. Observe your bees and know your area and don't believe everything that is said by others. Research, check and cross check and then see if it holds up in your experience.

Chris

Latest posts

Back