What's happing in my hive today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just been told i should not be using red what could do you guys think is ok - please give me some ideas????

loads of bee's today - was nice too see they had eaten. 1400 ml of syrup with hive alive. so the bee's today was on heat...

Monday, 7 April 2014, 06:56:35 BST

Forecast Summary
Today
A fairly cloudy morning, with occasional outbreaks of rain. The rain will become heavier and more widespread for a time this afternoon, before clearing by evening.

Tonight
A good deal of dry weather overnight, with some clear spells. Just the odd shower possible, most likely towards the north and west of the region. A breezy night.

Environmental Summary
UV: 1
UK Range: 1-7
Pollution: Low
UK Range: Low to Very High
Pollen: Moderate

very very windy today glad I'm not a bee - or i would stay in doors all day - not weather for flying 16 mph gusting up to 37 mph

Yes with rapid feeders it is, I don't use them anymore, as the bee losses break my heart. Try contact types, the little bucket with a mesh lid, take a plate with you to up end it on or you'll spill a lot of feed, not much of a problem now but at the end of the year can set them all off robbing. Then what you collect on the plate you put in the next feeder.....etc

I find rapid feeders are fine as long as you put plenty of floaty material in the trough... Contact feeders are messy and can dribble out loads of syrup when temp changes at night.

never had a problem with bees drowning in rapid feeders.

we lost two bee's floating in rapid feeder but so much cleaner then the contact feeder's

(NO LONGER IN RED) Time Tuesday, 8 April 2014, 08:58:39 BST

Forecast Summary
Today
A bright and breezy day with sunny spells and just the chance of the odd shower, most likely this morning. Fresher than recent days, but feeling pleasant in the sunshine.

Tonight
Dry with lengthy clear spells and so turning quite chilly, with the odd patch of mist or low cloud possible by dawn and maybe a touch of grass frost.

Environmental Summary
UV: 3
UK Range: 1-7
Pollution: Low
Pollen: Moderate
UK Range: Low to Very

WIND 14MPH

A FEW BEE'S ARE UP AND ABOUT

Last edited:
had a look at feeders today lots of bees but some had drowned in feed is this norm?

You need a cover for your rapid feeder, try cling film if the feeder was not supplied with one. If you do not have a cover you might just as well put an open dish of syrup on the crown board.
The bees should only be able to access the syrup by coming up under the dome and the surface should be rough enough to give grip when they climb out.

yes but i still had a floating bee - had to take lid off ,then the cover, then scoop the bee out.

It's useful to block off that circle of dead space at the bottom of the cone too either with some sort of barrier or to make the feeder board hole fit.

thank got a beehouse - and its a very snug fit? just hopping, bye leaving the feeder on. that it will help, them draw the frames out. So we can have space, for the queen to lay more eggs.

A common fault with rapid feeders is not to seat the cup properly onto the ridges at the bottom, if you do not do that the bees can get through the gap when the feeder is empty!
E

You will be very lucky to give syrup to bees in any kind of feeder and not drown the odd one or two.

It's when there are hundreds drowned you've got a problem.

thank you its great too see who is coming to see this thread - would really love more of you too leave coments

Are you planning on sticking to just the one hive? If a hive goes queenless for whatever reason you can run into trouble. Most beekeepers have 2+ hives. That way if a hive goes queenless and they have no eggs to raise a queen, a frame of eggs from another hive can be introduced to raise a new queen. That way you don't lose your bees and no doubt have to wait another year for swarms to be available again. I prefer having around 4+ colonies as I have known two hives being in trouble simultaneously. It is easier to keep Langstroth and national style hives for this reason as multiple hives will be cheaper and more practacle

A Beehaus has space for two colonies. It can be divided in the middle, with an entrance at each end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back