Removing empty supers from hive!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bees use their wings to move air to get the water content of honey down

I know bees move air to dry nectar, but it was not like that. There were not many bees in the supers, but once removed, some of them gathered on the top edges of the box and had their butts in the air fanning. The only other time I have seen this is when I have put a swarm in a box and the ones around the entrance of the box start fanning to call the stragglers in.

That is why I wondered if the queen could have bee in the supers.

I thought I was just starting to understand bee keeping. But this hive is relay making me doubt myself and my bee keeping skills.

I dont have a clue whats going on with the state of this hive, and judging by the lack of answers I am not sure anyone else does.

I try to explain things as I see them, but due to my poor skills its hard to get definitive information. ie, is there some brood or eggs I missed? So I completely understand why it can be so hard to help me sometimes.

I am thinking of separating the supers on the next inspection, and observe for fanning in both supers. I am also going to pay more attention when I take the supers off my other hives, and see if they fan. And I need to get a test frame in too.

Thanks again for all the replies. Even though no one can explain for sure whats happening, you have helped me think things through and given me lots of ideas.

Bobba. I have seen it written many times that bees fanning in the top bars can be a sign of queenlessness. I think it was ITLD that mentioned it first. I had a colony do that a few years back and they indeed were without a queen.

Latest posts

Back