What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fleabane here (Sussex) - loads of orange pollen.
Lots of Fleabane near my apiary but I've never seen bees on it, I'm not convinced. Orange pollen coming in at a different site this weekend. Bees here were very busy on Balsam but there is also a fairly large stand of Knotweed, covered in blossom at the moment.

Attachments

• pollen.jpg
    pollen.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a Snowberry from the tubular flowers, my first thought from the woody structure was a viburnum but the flowers didn't look right.

While we lived in N E Essex the bees had oilseed rape, borage, Lucerne, apple and may other flowers and crops to choose from.

A quick look at crops around our present domain is, certainly this year, potatoes!!

So my question is - are potato flowers of any use to bees?

Many thanks

Malcolm B.

Out of interest I just looked it up , bumblebees mainly do the pollination .
That's interesting.
No wonder our garden is inundated with bumble bees of all sizes.
We have a field of potatoes right next to us and another one opposite, as well as others in the area.
Thank you.

Snowberry
Not sure about the size of the flowers in the image as my Coralberry is almost identical in appearance but the coralberry flowers are smaller, about 4 or 5 mm. My bees are now dividing their time between the Evodia and the Coralberry and both are humming with excitement.

Not sure about the size of the flowers in the image as my Coralberry is almost identical in appearance but the coralberry flowers are smaller, about 4 or 5 mm. My bees are now dividing their time between the Evodia and the Coralberry and both are humming with excitement.
Does it spread?

Back