What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bees all over the Japanese knotweed collecting nectar. I thought it only produced pollen.View attachment 28255
Think you can buy knotweed honey in the states, known as Mexican bamboo in some parts over there. I wonder what temp it needs to produce nectar, I could be swimming in knotweed honey if it was warmer here. If the hybrid mont bretia was also a more reliable nectar source then I would really be laughing

Think you can buy knotweed honey in the states, known as Mexican bamboo in some parts over there. I wonder what temp it needs to produce nectar, I could be swimming in knotweed honey if it was warmer here. If the hybrid mont bretia was also a more reliable nectar source then I would really be laughing

They were only working it for the 2 hot days we had the other week it was over 25c.

IMG_20210916_174142.jpgIMG_20210916_174138.jpgthis horrible stuff!! Haven't seen a single honey bee on it, but while picking blackberries some girls were feeding on the fruit, the first time I've noticed bees on blackberries since I've been beekeeping.

this horrible stuff!! Haven't seen a single honey bee on it, but while picking blackberries some girls were feeding on the fruit, the first time I've noticed bees on blackberries since I've been beekeeping.
My bees feeding on fallen ripe/rotting pears. I guess because not much nectar around?

My bees feeding on fallen ripe/rotting pears. I guess because not much nectar around?
Aye the ivy hasn't started yet its late this year. I've also seen hedges been cut already a mile away down the hill.

View attachment 28423Walked past this in my local cemetery. More ivy than tree, maybe 20% in flower and the rest of the buds not far off. Honeybees, ivy bees and hoverflies in abundance, with a few wasps and butterflies for good measure.

Very strong ivy smell coming from my hive!

A great sight to see an ivy tree.

Last edited:
Just on my way home from the Chelsea Flower Show. Obviously for the time of year fewer bee friendly flowers in bloom (but still good numbers). Clear winner for the number of bees was a new shrub to me, Seven Son Flower, or Heptacodium miconioides. Saw two specimens, both covered in honeybees, might have to find space for it.

Link to a relevant website Seven Son

Simon

Latest posts

Back