What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took these this week.
If we had 20+ c the clover would be producing.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

We have clover in our grass and i purposely dont mow our gardens to let it come through.

My son complains about the football pitch needing a mow ...but I told him he is welcome to mow it if he could be bothered !

We have clover in our grass and i purposely dont mow our gardens to let it come through.

My son complains about the football pitch needing a mow ...but I told him he is welcome to mow it if he could be bothered !

The bees are all over the clover in our grass too. I try to leave it as long as I can, but my problem isn't football, it's my own feet! I get more stings sitting on the grass and accidentally squishing a bee on the clover with my foot or ankle than I ever do when I'm actually beekeeping! When I do eventually give in to mow it its usually with a swollen bee stung ankle :-(

Nice to here you leave the clover as long as you can, alot of people mow it of and keep there grass as short as possible.. There should be a :ban: on all grass cutting every other year.

I must be lucky being on the Clee there's 70 sq miles of grass land which only some of which gets cut for hay, the majority is left or grassed by sheep.
Let's not forget about the thistles the bees love them to! when it's good weather.

Me and the youngest but one noticed the bees on the clover yesterday when we were driving around inspecting colonys 22 c on the hill at 450m.
Hopefully we have a nice few weeks.
This time last year I was on holiday in tywn and it was 28c on the 23rd of July.
No holiday this year gutted really.

The bees are all over the clover in our grass too. I try to leave it as long as I can, but my problem isn't football, it's my own feet! I get more stings sitting on the grass and accidentally squishing a bee on the clover with my foot or ankle than I ever do when I'm actually beekeeping! When I do eventually give in to mow it its usually with a swollen bee stung ankle :-(

Thanks, that made me smile :winner1st:

The bees are working Meadowsweet quite well at the moment. Interestingly in "plants and beekeeping" the pollen loads are described as distinctly greenish. But those on the bees I saw were yellowish.

Attachments

• HB on Meadowsweet .jpg
    HB on Meadowsweet .jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 38
The bees are working Meadowsweet quite well at the moment. Interestingly in "plants and beekeeping" the pollen loads are described as distinctly greenish. But those on the bees I saw were yellowish.

Could it be they were foraging on something else first?

Unlikely as honeybees usually stick to just one species (flower specific behaviour) when out foraging for pollen, nectar or both.

Sawyer says green or yellow. Thanks for the heads-up. Must check another pollen load now!

The naturalised fushia was dripping nectar in the sun yesterday.

As the OSR failed around here there are about 30 acres of mixed cover crop about a mile from my bees, flax, buckwheat, and phacelia, with a dribble of some mustardy looking plant too.

The borage patch in my garden is still going strong!

Wish I had a farmer nearby that grew it!

The most popular plants in my garden currently are hardy geraniums (Rosanne the favourite by a long way) and persicaria (firetail).

Bramble has gone over in most areas now, I could tell the flow is over at home today as the bees were all over the lavender hedge in clouds - not just the newly bloomed Hidcote but also on the 'on it's last legs' Munstead in another border Balsam has been out for weeks but until now they've shown no interest.

Huge field of phacelia in flower in our part of Lincolnshire.The bees love it.

See enclosed

Attachments

• WP_20200720_06_58_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20200720_06_58_50_Pro.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 30
My orchard bees are on the HB, yet to see any at home.

Rosebaywillowherb and Himalayan Balsam really getting going. Brambles doing really well, as are Privet and Buddleia. On the allotments.....phew, you name it! My adjacent neighbour on one of my sites has a fantastic show of flowers at the moment. My bees there only have a few feet to travel!

Latest posts

Back