What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What will light green/limey coloured pollen be this time of the year..? .

Not at my desk to check at the moment (I'm overseas - Bristol) but if I recall, it's snowdrop

Willow piling in today.

Nowhere near with us - just plenty of hazel

If it's 15C or over the nectar will come in if the willow is in full swing..15C 16/C here over the weekend but no willow in flower to date..?

None here either Steve the willow is well tucked up for winter my hazel catkins are just opening but the crocus look good and s bit more sun shine should see them open by the week end .
Last year I had a really good honey flow of the willow 22lbs of honey , I know it wasn't that much but it was nice , fingers crossed I've more and stronger hives this winter so far ... Winter's not over yet mind .

Not at my desk to check at the moment (I'm overseas - Bristol) but if I recall, it's snowdrop

This is where it becomes awkward.. Snow drops produce Orange/yellow pollen..but when you look into the flowers they look green..but if you look closer the anthers/stamens (sometimes mixed) have yellow/orange pollen.. weird i know ..unless we get the odd wild card..

This is where it becomes awkward.. Snow drops produce Orange/yellow pollen..but when you look into the flowers they look green..but if you look closer the anthers/stamens (sometimes mixed) have yellow/orange pollen.. weird i know ..unless we get the odd wild card..

I'll have to get back to you when I've got my books in front of me - pollen is nowhere near a speciality of mine

Snow drop is strong red, Hazel is bright yellow. Your green could be Elm or Willow ....need a sample to confirm

The willow available to the bees here produces yellow pollen..so the green pollen must be Elm if there is any alive around my hives.. if this picture works it was taken last year on willow..;).

Attachments

• 12923373_1148406405178572_549144981110560382_n.jpg
    12923373_1148406405178572_549144981110560382_n.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 25
At last pollen piling in at my garden apiary. Yellow and green.....

Feb-Pollen.jpg

Visited Chester zoo yesterday and saw a beautiful flowering mimosa tree (acacia dealbata) the scent was unbeleavable and it was covered with honey bees.
Just added a couple to my shopping list

Visited Chester zoo yesterday and saw a beautiful flowering mimosa tree (acacia dealbata) the scent was unbelievable and it was covered with honey bees.
Just added a couple to my shopping list

picture.php

One of the girls on our Mimosa tree in the garden, there were 3 or 4 bees on each clump and its 35ft high and nearly as wide.

picture.php

we may have some small trees this year so if we move we can plant another.

picture.php

One of the girls on our Mimosa tree in the garden, there were 3 or 4 bees on each clump and its 35ft high and nearly as wide.

picture.php

Yes such a beautiful tree, I had never (knowingly) seen one before but will be acquiring a couple soon

One bee working the clump of Hellebore in the formal gardens at my new apiary.
Veritable buzz on the Winter Heath half a mile from my new apiary and in the garden of the cottage we are moving to. My bees? I don't yet know if there are other colonies nearby.

Attachments

• 2019.02 apiary hellebore BH.jpg
    2019.02 apiary hellebore BH.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 2019.02 apiary winter heath westburn.jpg
    2019.02 apiary winter heath westburn.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 21
picture.php

picture.php

Sorry for being pedantic but that gutter is between 17/18ft high..:spy: ..either way i am going to look into buying one or two of them beauties..;)

Sorry for being pedantic but that gutter is between 17/18ft high..:spy: ..either way i am going to look into buying one or two of them beauties..;)

Hi Millet, the tree is back from the front of the house. top of the tree is just above the top of the chimney which i know is just over 8mtrs, as i put the flue liner in, wobbling about on my scaffold with a hangover!!

On a more serious note, Mimosa are originally from Australia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata and we have found that they can handle some frost and some wind, but not both together. so if you can plant them in a wind shaded spot. they grow like Eucalyptus and we have to trim ours quite often.

And the bees think it is the best thing ever, the tree was buzzing with the girls again today. the down side is apparently the honey tastes horrid.

Last edited:
whats horrid about it bees love the stuff

whats horrid about it bees love the stuff

I'll confess I have no idea as I haven't tried it! Read it somewhere though. Seems plausible that a taste not pleasant to the human palate might be A+ for another species.

Latest posts

Back