What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a large one in my garden. The scent is intoxicating but I never se anything on it :(
Sarcococca confusa
Do you find anything that eats the rather beautiful berries Dani ?, ours is in flower and fruit but it appears to be given a wide berth by one and all.
Dave

Last edited:
Ah ok. Thanks. Reminds we a little of a sweet daphne. We also have a Christmas Bush or Prickly Box which flowers every year at Christmas (I took the photo just before Christmas). Only a faint smell but a great bee flower.

Attachments

• IMG_20191222_142224956 (1).jpg
    IMG_20191222_142224956 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
Saw my first snowdrops today and also hazel catkins are out in the South Downs!

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
The first blackthorn in bloom on Anglesey . The same patch flowered last January, but i thought it was a fluke.

All we have is Winter Jasmine and up the road at the Towers which has an amazing garden, there is a bush in flower but no idea what it is. Not going for a pic either as storm whatsit is busy arriving with the rain front doing it's thing vigorously.

PH

firs flowering snowdrops

Attachments

• img20200117_181201.jpg
    img20200117_181201.jpg
    749.5 KB · Views: 14
Mahonia going over now but snowdrops are opening and some daffs showing a bit of colour. Bees out today, but they are mainly interested in gathering water.

There's lots of Winter Heliotrope, (Petasites fragrans) in flower around here but have only seen one bee on it. It gives off an amazing scent - the heliotrope, that is.

I've found out it's a Non-Native Species, which is a disappointment - I hope nobody comes along and sprays those near me!

CVB

Much excitement with the leatherwood in full mid-summer flower. This naturally occurring variation on the usual white flower is called "pink cloud". Photo courtesy of my wife (she won the best "bee on leatherwood flower" home photo competition).

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_153917.jpg
    IMG_20200118_153917.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 68
Oursnowdrops are starting to flower.

No bees anywhere for 4 days due to weather..

Much excitement with the leatherwood in full mid-summer flower.

Eucryphia is a wonderful bee tree and not seen often enough over here. I discovered its attraction to bees while visiting Lismore Castle in County Waterford, Eire (wonderful place, home to Sir Walter Raleigh, Adele Astaire and various Earls and Dukes); House & Garden magazine described the trees as a monumental group of Eucryphia x intermedia 'Rostrevor' but omitted to add a photo; the trees can be seen on the left here at 58 seconds; they were in flower when we visited and the noise was deafening.

Eucryphia is a wonderful bee tree and not seen often enough over here. I discovered its attraction to bees while visiting Lismore Castle in County Waterford, Eire (wonderful place, home to Sir Walter Raleigh, Adele Astaire and various Earls and Dukes); House & Garden magazine described the trees as a monumental group of Eucryphia x intermedia 'Rostrevor' but omitted to add a photo; the trees can be seen on the left here at 58 seconds; they were in flower when we visited and the noise was deafening.

I’m a great fan too
Bodnant Gardens have a National collection

Latest posts

Back