What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These striking eucalypts are flowing in some areas here.

Attachments

• IMG_20240401_135524048_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20240401_135524048_HDR (1).jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
I’ve only ever once seen a Eucalypt flowering in this country.
I'm not surprised as most here don't see them flowering either. I was standing next to someone on the weekend who couldn't see the flowers even though the whole tree was covered in them and we were only 30 yards away. It's to do with the way the leaves reflect the light but also other things.....
You must have a few of our cold tolerant ones there in the UK like gunni, rubida, dalrympleana, pauciflora, ....some coping with 200 frosts a year, snow covered and down to -15 c.
https://www.rememberthewild.org.au/reflections-from-eucalypt-australia-eucalypt-of-the-year-2019/

The flowers on the tree through binoculars, which are a good tool...
Can you see them?

Attachments

• IMG_20240401_135024114_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20240401_135024114_HDR (1).jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
The white spots?
Don't they have a slightly greenish tinge and look almost like leaves ? There was a Eucalyptus tree next to a previous house we lived in and it only flowered once in the five years we lived there - it blew down in the October 87 storm.

Don't they have a slightly greenish tinge and look almost like leaves ? There was a Eucalyptus tree next to a previous house we lived in and it only flowered once in the five years we lived there - it blew down in the October 87 storm.
Ours flowers with small white flowers, I will take a photo this year

Yes...hard to see. The leaves tend to hang down (probably to reduce sun exposure in the middle of the day) which makes it harder to spot flowers... and the light tends to catch the leaves which are waxy and reflective.

A few of my ancestors got a free one way trip to Australia - you will find our name on quite a lot of things where they thrived .. the family motto is Rapto Vivens ... LIving by Plunder (for those not endowed with a classical education !).
I read recently that the English planted the flag here to get the incredible timber for boat/ship building which was in high demand at the time, and beat the French to it. That was apparently what it was all about. The penal settlement thing here was not the target at first instance.

I read recently that the English planted the flag here to get the incredible timber for boat/ship building which was in high demand at the time, and beat the French to it. That was apparently what it was all about. The penal settlement thing here was not the target at first instance.
It was such an inhospitable part of the planet that they found it difficult to get volunteers to go there !

Does anyone know what this might be?

Attachments

• IMG_20240411_103434383_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240411_103434383_HDR.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Back