What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spotted this huge field which is possibly slightly beyond my bees foraging distance at two and a half miles.
It's not a crop I can see any purpose for, other than for wildlife. But I couldn't see any beehives around and the only bees were of the bumble variety.View attachment 27705
A bit of blue phacelia there. Not sure what the white stuff is! Looks a bit like meadowsweet but it isn't. Is it a sown crop?

A bit of blue phacelia there. Not sure what the white stuff is! Looks a bit like meadowsweet but it isn't. Is it a sown crop?

Yes, it's very uniform and a huge fired. The Phacelia was what stopped me and there is also a plant which I can only describe as "polygonum-like". I'm going back for samples. :)

None today...it was dampish, but yesterday the was bumblebees etc., but no obvious honeybees. I'm at loss to see what it's been sown for, as it's on a farm which mainly rears pigs.
Possibly have a chat to the farmer and you never know it could be a pertential new site, if your looking of course?
Nice photo of a well grown meadow, it's ashame there isn't more around the country.
Buckwheat will yeald honey.

planted a load of buckwheat near the hives - covered in bumble bees, hover flies and every other flying insect except honey bees!

SteveG and I have hives on the buckwheat for a second year. SG sent Dani a sample and she will tell you what it tastes like.....

Attachments

• 66331B9E-1B08-4879-AE1C-2C045A5554C6_1_105_c.jpeg
    66331B9E-1B08-4879-AE1C-2C045A5554C6_1_105_c.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 13
Possibly have a chat to the farmer and you never know it could be a pertential new site, if your looking of course?

I was thinking about doing that; I hesitated because I presumed that if it wasn't done for another beekeeper it might have been some sort of wildlife grant-aid deal you farmers have access to. ;)

I was thinking about doing that; I hesitated because I presumed that if it wasn't done for another beekeeper it might have been some sort of wildlife grant-aid deal you farmers have access to. ;)
Stuwardship scheme, you can do alsorts of things,
Countryside Stuwardship scheme.
At work they are a regenerative organic farm or trying to head in that direction.
I was only speaking the other day to the soil analysis gentleman, and its surprising how having the honey bees there will help with the top layer of soil through pollination.
He has a farm in Cumbria and was very interested in having honey bees there, to far away for me but I could supply the stock.

Stuwardship scheme, you can do alsorts of things,
Countryside Stuwardship scheme.
At work they are a regenerative organic farm or trying to head in that direction.
I was only speaking the other day to the soil analysis gentleman, and its surprising how having the honey bees there will help with the top layer of soil through pollination.
He has a farm in Cumbria and was very interested in having honey bees there, to far away for me but I could supply the stock.

My partner's brother and mother run a farm near Carlisle...too far for me, but i might chat to them about that topic. :)

My partner's brother and mother run a farm near Carlisle...too far for me, but i might chat to them about that topic. :)
Another reason to talk about bee related things:);)

Latest posts

Back