What type of hive(s) do you have?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of hive(s) do you have?

• Total voters
Where does it leave the skeppists who weave their hives from bestestest cappibara fur?
Or those who make their hives from pot or concrete??

Don't you just love a pedant??

Nos da

Not going to vote as it seems ittells you who voted for what. And no option for paper mache nucs..
B+ went for both but mainly poly.

It tells nothing of the ratio of timber:poly.

Likely assumes 50:50? If so, not true.

Software clearly inserts an emoticon for “:”

Cedar wood 14x12 .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Generally curious and to see how here compares to those in my association where I get the feeling 90% are wood, a few with both and myself with poly only.

I think it should be run ever year or few to see if there is any change in trend, whether poly becomes more mainstream or people revert back to wood.

Generally curious and to see how here compares to those in my association where I get the feeling 90% are wood, a few with both and myself with poly only.

I think it should be run ever year or few to see if there is any change in trend, whether poly becomes more mainstream or people revert back to wood.

Plastics are receiving bad press at the moment and rightly so !
This will colour people’s judgement and skew their choice ?

Plastics are receiving bad press at the moment and rightly so !
This will colour people’s judgement and skew their choice ?

Possibly, but my inkling is that it mainly applies to items that are disposable, ie coffee cups, carrier bags, cling wrap etc so may not dissuade people from buying poly hives.

Revert back to wood or to straw & cow poo.

Some years ago poly was rare, and really expencive compared to Scandinavia.
With this questionaire you cannot reveal anything. At least quality of information is Low.

Poly is mainstream where? It needs money and few people has it so much. Poly quite rare in USA and Canada. But they do not have local adapted bee strains either for cold climates.

If old wooden hives are good, why to destroy them. I use still 50 y old wooden boxes in summer.

Last edited:
Possibly, but my inkling is that it mainly applies to items that are disposable, ie coffee cups, carrier bags, cling wrap etc so may not dissuade people from buying poly hives.

They will become disposable, subject to breakages . Becoming heavily contaminated .
Polystyrene is listed as leaching nasties ! Under the right conditions !

They will become disposable, subject to breakages . Becoming heavily contaminated .

They are easy to repais with polyrethane glue.

What is
- highly contaminated and
- leaching nasties?

Dispisable ? Easily repaired when broken heavily contaminates with what ? The right conditions if im not mistaken are microwave temps.

They are easy to repais with polyrethane glue.

What is

- highly contaminated and

- leaching nasties?

Contaminated with pathogens various built up over time !
Polystyrene isn’t totally food safe .

7e269346fd79eb806a30501d59cd3ba1.png

Contaminated with pathogens various built up over time !
Polystyrene isn’t totally food safe .

You can wash the box surfaces. And it is better do.

Not food safe bee box.... Where it has been said? . Boxes should be illegal then in EU. And in house insulation too.

Last edited:
You can wash the box surfaces. And it is better do.

Not food safe bee box.... Where it has been said? . Boxes should be illegal then in EU. And in house insulation too.

I’d sooner create my own carcinogens , scorching my boxes ! [emoji23]

Actually it took many years to me to find chemicals, how to clean and sterilize poly boxes. IT is not so easy as wooden box torching.

Back