What to do with brood frames of stores?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
During the summer I removed some brood frames that were filled with stores, replacing them with foundation. Partly as swarm prevention, partly to increase brood nest size.
I'd intended to feed these stores back in the autumn but having left a super on each hive I've been struggling to get them to empty the supers. I don't need to feed more and doubt they'd take it down.
What should I do with these brood frames, partly capped partly uncapped?

I store any unwanted stores for the following spring, feeding nucs or a dearth. The uncapped will ferment and bubble so extract this carefully to prevent frame damage, I store with a good board top and bottom and keep an eye on wax moth (If need be treat for w/m during storage).

Last edited:
Is it possible to wash out the nectar?
Yes, I have done it with fermented honey on frames using the hose pipe.... gently though. Probably work better on older frames.
You could put these frames back in the hives instead of feeding?

Thanks all, I washed them in the kitchen sink. Repeated filling with flowing warm water and shake out. Quite satisfying really. Certainly beat getting the extractor out again. They're now in a warm place drying out.

Latest posts

Back