What tip have you learnt this year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check your veil before you zip your face into it to make sure there are no bees inside it. They seem to get angry when they realise they are trapped in your hood with only your face to vent their anger on!
E

Where IS Dusty?

I think he's still in Cyprus at a conference - apparently since he retired as president of the loony doctor society he's in more demand than ever so he's doing a few extra talks over there (he muttered something about gaining a lot of new case material at the forum or somewhere, didn't realise he'd been to Pompeii this year!!). Should have got in touch with Norton as he's out in sunnier climes!

1. How to calculate weight of hive using electronic luggage scales, courtesy of Itma, Amari and MJBee - cheers! Tried it today on all three hives and pleased with calculated stores of 19 kg/42lb in two hives and 17.2kg/38lb in the third. Have a clear crownboard on this hive and will keep an eye on them (literally and through weighing)) re. need to feed in mid-winter.

2. Insulating hives with 50mm polystyrene cut to size and wrapped in metalic tape (all Kingspan gone from W**kes when I went to buy so resorted to DIY!) - again, courtesy of many on this forum.

There is some excellent advice here. (Some bull too!)

Fixing wind fabric around hive stand to stop bees undershooting hive.
Never to squash wasps around hives as will bring more wasps.

Bulk buying honey buckets in the sale was the best thing I did, nearly used everyone this year!

Keeping large colonies from swarming may not be easy but can lead to large honey crops!

Finally, don't be worried about entering your first honey show, you never know what might happen!!!!! :winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:

When putting Apiguard in top of hive, and needing to feed at the same time, use the QX instead of a crownboard.

Where IS Dusty?

I think he's still in Cyprus at a conference - apparently since he retired as president of the loony doctor society he's in more demand than ever so he's doing a few extra talks over there (he muttered something about gaining a lot of new case material at the forum or somewhere, didn't realise he'd been to Pompeii this year!!).

Just noticed this exchange from a couple of weeks ago.

I've been brushing up my exorcism skills recently.
Might need to practice here.

And I'm not referring to the ever-fragrant ericA.

Dusty

Latest posts

Back