What protection do you wear?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HM Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just wanted to get a feel for what others wear when inspecting. I started out with s full suit and wellies, stopped wearing the wellies and then went to only wearing a veil that covers my head and shoulders.

My usual attire is trainers or walking boots, jogging bottoms or jeans, a long sleeved thick cotton shirt and the veil. I do get the odd sting but that doesnt bother me tbh and I very rarely react to the sting.

What about you lot?

Alternate between half suit with round veil and full suit with fencer veil depending on what's in the wash. Rubber gloves always. Wellies mostly. Doesn't take 5 minutes to get dressed up.

Depends on the colony. For my pussycats I still wear nothing, not even a veil - but I've got one at the moment where full armour is the order of the day, even to wearing PVC gauntlets.

For unknowns - at least a veil, maybe covered arms as well. With full kit near at hand, just in case.

LJ

Usually a full suit with wellies (because they are easier to put your feet into and I have discovered I don't like being stung on the ankle.:D)
No gloves usually, but sometimes marigolds if I'm expecting trouble or leather if it looks like WWIII.
Gauntlets to stop the little darlings creeping up under the suit cuffs.
I keep a smock handy if I'm just changing feeders or whatever and can't be bothered with the full suit mullarkey.

I do get the odd sting but that doesnt bother me tbh and I very rarely react to the sting.
Some people can develop increasingly bad reactions to stings - even if stings don't bother you now, it's not a good idea to be cavalier about it. There's no advantage to getting stung and it only takes a minute to put the suit/gloves/boots on. Worth it in my opinion.

I have just bought one of the swienty full suits from M*dern Beek*eping. Before that I had a cheapy cotton smock with fencer veil from ebay, but I need to sew up a hole which has just appeared.
Also wear boots and rubber gloves. I don't react to stings much, but I like to feel like I'm properly covered up and not worry about the smock riding up at the back and leaving an enticing strip of bare skin.

it's not a good idea to be cavalier about it.

not being cavalier civ101, I just found the full suit cumbersome and stuffy tbh. I dont enjoy being stung, I just accept the odd one as part of the hobby.

In all honesty, I reckon I got as many stings wearing the full suit as I do now anyway..... And it is ALWAYS on my arms...

My own bees

Any footwear
loose trousers (not tight jeans)
shirt/T shirt tucked into trousers
Jacket and veil
No gloves.

Association bees
(rough and long grass)
Short wellies
loose trousers (not tight jeans)
shirt/T shirt tucked into trousers
Jacket and veil
No gloves.

Approx 50 stings a year over past three years.
Developed virtual immunity to reactions.

Use Olbas Oil on hands to deter bees who appear to think my hair means I am a bear. Works for all but the more determined nasty bees.

Edit : when raining I wear a baseball hat.

Last edited:
Depends on the colony. For my pussycats I still wear nothing, not even a veil - but I've got one at the moment where full armour is the order of the day, even to wearing PVC gauntlets.

For unknowns - at least a veil, maybe covered arms as well. With full kit near at hand, just in case.

LJ

For the pussycats you should at least wear some underpants Little John, just in case.

Last edited:
Fully covered top to toe every time. I don't like getting stung and don't want to get a reaction.

Jeans, rigger boots, smock with the fencing mask... Tig welding gloves in the pocket, if our bees and are in "normal" mode otherwise gloves on until they show their colours. The beekeeper wears a full suit so i can run away and leave her to it if goes pear shaped. Have been at an inspection in smock shorts and sandals.

As I don't like the reaction to being stung it's the full nuclear protection outfit for me......even down to white Welles and man sized marigolds. So far this has worked but it's a little OTT really with my pussycats! Useful in the event of seeing the 'nasties' lurking in friends apiaries though!,

Wellies, full suit and long nitriles.

However, as I become more adept I'd like to ditch the gloves as a way of enhancing my own carefulness and gentleness.

But I don't seen to show much reaction to stings -as yet.
I certainly don't intend to get cavalier about it.

Dusty

For my ex mother in Law I recommend the Birthday suit airbrushed black with a smattering of hornet Pheremones and a ghetto blaster with drum and base full tilt! me personally everything a whimp would need with Duct tape finishing.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:
Some people can develop increasingly bad reactions to stings - even if stings don't bother you now, it's not a good idea to be cavalier about it. There's no advantage to getting stung and it only takes a minute to put the suit/gloves/boots on. Worth it in my opinion.

:iagree::iagree:
There is nothing good about being brave. As one of our members said a couple of years ago, they aren't pets and if you get stung six or more times, you can be courting trouble. Don't be fooled into thinking that the bees know you and won't sting. They will!!
Andy

Latest posts

Back