What preservative

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islayhawk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Have been reading a lot about wood preservatives for Hives. What has insecticide in it etc. What is the recommended preservative for outside.

islayhawk

I don't use anything, the hives actually don't get much weather because try are vertical, but if I had to chose one I would use osmo, expensive but with beeswax and no insecticides.
E

Outdoor latex is the best. A thin layer that moisture does not push the paint out.
Paints duty is to protect wood against moisture and sun.

Unprotected wood will be this kind: sun splits and water closes. Soon the wood structure is broken.

normal_2011_09_11_Laudat.jpg

Last edited:
Have been reading a lot about wood preservatives for Hives. What has insecticide in it etc. What is the recommended preservative for outside.

islayhawk

I've been using Ronseal Shades for a lot of external woodwork - I make plant troughs from pallet wood and a couple of coats has lasted well - three years on one and no significant fading and the wood's still good. I've used it on my hive as it's water based and nothing nasty in it. Not the cheapest around. I used Wickes fence stain (the one with wax in it) on the hen house and run and that's done three years but is ready for another coat now.

So ... unless it's cedar, which does not need anything, then most water based timber care products should be OK. Check the label for any insecticides to be certain.

have a butchers at the sticky on hive painting, and most insectisides in paint is designed to kill wood boaring insects not ones walking on the top of it. i used to use creosote the real stuff for many years so did a lot of beek, so dont worry to much about it

Used engine oil - mixed 50/50 with red diesel ('cause it's cheaper than white). Or creosote. Leave for 12 months to weather before using.

Or paint.

LJ

No but humans do and we eat what they make

Another vote for Ronseal I use Wood stain as it is what we have for the house so does not eat into my bee budget...

Like the idea of Creosalt, does it taint the honey?

Well creosote was the traditional preservative, but the proper stuff is banned now. I personally wouldn't go near it for hives.

I have some cedar treated with linseed oil, which have gone very black. More recently I have painted with Cuprinol Shades and Ronseal woodland Trust paints which give an attractive finish but have only been on for a year or so, will wait and see how they last.

Used engine oil is carcinogenic

Evidence ? (Apart from injecting it under the skin of laboratory mice, in which case most day-to-day products would be !)

Anyway - I did say to leave for 12 months to weather before using - that way any remaining aromatics will have evaporated.

Oils, Petroleum-base fuels, Creosote, Tar etc are all 100% natural products - if you care to think about it .

LJ

I have used walnut oil. I read about it online. It is cheap (available at most supermarkets) and natural and easy to put on. I used 3 coats. Can't say how it has worked because I only started this year.
best wishes
PD

Well creosote was the traditional preservative, but the proper stuff is banned now. I personally wouldn't go near it for hives.

I have some cedar treated with linseed oil, which have gone very black. More recently I have painted with Cuprinol Shades and Ronseal woodland Trust paints which give an attractive finish but have only been on for a year or so, will wait and see how they last.

We have an ex SBI from mid Wales how swears by it when he gives us talks.
I work on the basis if it's child / pet friendly and breathable, then it "should" be okay on the outsides of the hives. Don't suppose I'll have many kids chewing the hives?

creosote is not banned, i still use loads of it, all they have done is remove it from general public use. people who can deal with chemicials can still buy it and its a lot cheaper and better than the new stuff

but any way there are better things to use ronseal and silka to name a few as well as oils and the like, hedgerow vald dips his in boiling wax to preserve then,
talk about a fire risk!!

creosote is not banned, i still use loads of it, all they have done is remove it from general public use. people who can deal with chemicials can still buy it and its a lot cheaper and better than the new stuff

The public can buy creocote which is like creosote but with something removed. Some old boy on our site claimed to have mixed engine oil with it to make it work proper.

The public can buy creocote which is like creosote but with something removed. Some old boy on our site claimed to have mixed engine oil with it to make it work proper.

It's the "s" which has been removed.
And replaced with a"c".

No but humans do and we eat what they make

So are mobile phones...and you stick them in yer ear.

And don't forget diesel particulates among other things, lot of them around.

Last edited:
No it is not.

Hivemaker is correct. You can buy it but the supplier is not allowed to decant it into smaller quantities so you will probably have to buy something like a 50 gallon container.
Andy

Back