What is this wax formation on old brood frame (pic attached)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi
Took an old brood frame off today and it had these raised wax structures on the bottom section . are they just remnants of drone cells ?

Thanks

B.

Attachments

• frameq.jpg
    frameq.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 135
Out of principle and to prevent the end of the world, I am obliged to say its something completely different. Possibly never observed before. If someone would like to donate some money I can carry out innovative and ground breaking research into the exciting new phenomenon.

Out of principle and to prevent the end of the world, I am obliged to say its something completely different. Possibly never observed before. If someone would like to donate some money I can carry out innovative and ground breaking research into the exciting new phenomenon.

Definitely a sign of VSH bees

Totally agree with you, send me all your bank details ,passwords etc and I promise to give you huge amounts of dosh.

:LOL: What’s the chance of that……3 bee keepers in agreement (just about) and answering all at the same time
Another one in agreement here..... look out I can see the Second Coming! :laughing-smiley-014

And in related news I'm receiving reports that the temperature in hell is plunging.

I have a different question about the comb shown in the photograph in posting #1.

If you click on the small image to display it as a large image, and then double-click on that image to enlarge it even more, it is then easy to see that very many of the cells have large numbers of “white dots” inside of them. The entire outer surface is covered with white material. Is this the same kind of material? What might this material be?

Finman has suggested (#13) that it may be mold (mould?). Is this really mould?

Finman also suggested that this comb was compost stuff. Even though this comb may be quite unsuitable for use again in a hive box, it looks as though it could yield a useful amount of beeswax if it was melted and purified.

. . . .or, . . . might a piece of comb such as this be of use in a bait box?

White dots inside cells that have been brooded are often Varroa poo
Yes you can recover wax...not much but some
Bait hive? No I wouldn't

Pokes, jokes, mouldy fungi or pooh aside, when I look at that in greater magnification its something I would just burn to dispose of; certainly wouldn't use it in any hive bait or otherwise.

Finman is spot on...as he often is.

Its a mouldy old piece of decrepit comb that has been next to the side wall and attached to it, probably for support as it looks a bit shonky in itself.. The cell walls are a bit swollen indicating it has also drawn damp and the cost of recovery of a few grams of wax renders it of dubious worth recovering. Compost of burn.

It may very well prove attractive to swarms....but at what risk? Any decently hygienic stock will likely tear that lot down and chuck it our the door as brown dust and totally refresh the comb...but is there any scale present...cannot tell. ANY risk of infection...even if you dont know...get shot of it.

Problem in such comb is, that if you give the comb to bees, bees start to tear down the comb. It is hard work to them. They want to renew the comb. It is unnecessary work, what bees will do. It is simpler to bees, that they get a new foundation , and bees do the good comb.
You will get a spoonfull wax from comb, but it is not worth to do the job.

Latest posts

Back