what is the process

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
I have all my frames/wax, suits(bar 1 because the seller forgot 1 of the kids) smoker, router bits, new ply saw blade and will be constructing my hives over this and next weekend after taking my beginners course this weekend.

I might be getting 4-5 frame nucs or 5-6 frame nucs (both different prices)when the time comes.

What do I do next when the nucs arrive and what should I expect in the coming months.

Wait for them to swarm!!:redface:

Seriously, the answer to this could fill several books; in fact it has.

Don't expect that the beginner's course will provide all of your answers. Have you not spent time in preparation over winter with a few good books?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't expect that the beginner's course will provide all of your answers. Have you not spent time in preparation over winter with a few good books?

No not really thou I bought the 2 beekeeping for dummies books, one about beekeeping and the other was plans for hives. The plans where all in American sizes :(

Last edited:
What do I do next when the nucs arrive and what should I expect in the coming months.

What do you expect to happen? What have you read in your book and on the forum about what to expect and how to do things?

Join your local association. Go to all practical demonstrations/events. Ask tonnes and listen more. And that's for starters :)

In my first year
I expected more brood when i inspected than there was
I expected less queen cells than I got
I expected more honey from them than I got
I expected it to be easier than it actually was
This year I expect it to be similar but I expect to enjoy the experience

A Lot of pain mentally and physically
A lot more bees
Some honey if you do things right
some swarm cells if you'r unlucky
But the first thing you must do is make sure you have made the right decision on where your hive is to be placed, no good moving it few weeks down the road

Panic ... particularly if they all arrive at the same time .....

Expect ... everything you least expect ! and then some ..

Read the books whilst you still have time on your side ... the Haynes Manual of Beekeeping is much more in tune with European beekeeping than the 'Dummies' ones. Or try Bees at the Bottom of the Garden which is an easy read ...

No not really thou I bought the 2 beekeeping for dummies books, one about beekeeping and the other was plans for hives. The plans where all in American sizes :(

Don't worry - you might get American bees. Seriously, beekeeping can be challenging and I would advise plenty of preparation. Be able to recognise disease, be scrupulous in matters of apiary hygiene, learn how to manage varroa, understand bee space, prepare for what you need to know and do at (weekly) inspections, learn about swarming and swarm control, supering and feeding springing to mind for your first year. That is a lot to take on board.

There is a great deal of pleasure to be had in the keeping of healthy, docile bees. Conversely, a poorly managed colony can test the resolve of the most determined and become a nuisance to the beekeeper and all those in the vicinity.

As mentioned earlier, the experience of a seasoned mentor may well make your first encounters all the more pleasurable.

Expect a baptism by fire. Read, read and read in the meantime to broaden your outlook. I still discover interesting info till this day in my two books.
Being a beekeeper is a journey, not a destination. Good luck!!!

Still a newcomer myself; but I echo the comments already posted. Read - up, and then read again and make sure you have two of everything (enough for two hives when your first one shows swarm cells).

My first inspection found a queen cell and no queen early in the season! Talk about panic!

...and also understand that if you ask 10 beekeepers for advice - you will get 12 different answers..

You then have to digest the information provided and decide what is best in your situation.

In most cases there is no categorically 'right' or 'wrong'.

I have all my frames/wax, suits(bar 1 because the seller forgot 1 of the kids) smoker, router bits, new ply saw blade and will be constructing my hives over this and next weekend after taking my beginners course this weekend.

I might be getting 4-5 frame nucs or 5-6 frame nucs (both different prices)when the time comes.

Get your finger out building hives. When your Bees have arrived, bursting out of their boxes is too late. :nono:

Do you mean "what do I do as soon as they arrive i.e how do I manage the first day or two" or in a more general sense as interpreted by the other posters?
Cazza

I you mean, in the first few days, then the seller should help you by giving guidance at that point. Nothing special really. Place your nuc where your hive will be and leave it overnight. When the weather allows, (the next day if possible) move it sideways and place the new hive on the final site. Open the nuc and transfer the frames to the original hive. Some place these in the middle, some on an end. (I'm an ender.)Place an empty frame on each side. Shake the remaining bees in, fill the void with something insulatory and bee proof.
As you move the frames, check food levels. Feed if you think stores are low or there is a nectar dearth. Close up and go and get a cup of tea. Your bee adventure has begun....

(Others may do this differently but this is my method.)
Cazza

Last edited:
Place your nuc where your hive will be and leave it overnight. When the weather allows, (the next day if possible) move it sideways and place the new hive on the final site. Open the nuc and transfer the frames to the original hive. Some place these in the middle, some on an end. (I'm an ender.)Place an empty frame on each side. Shake the remaining bees in, fill the void with something insulatory and bee proof.
As you move the frames, check food levels. Feed if you think stores are low or there is a nectar dearth. Close up and go and get a cup of tea. Your bee adventure has begun....

(Others may do this differently but this is my method.)
Cazza

Irish Guy, I think if you follow cazza's advice you won't go far wrong. I went through this process last year.
1) Place Nuc on hive stand and let fly for a day.
2) Next day place Hive brood on stand and transfer frames one by one. Keep same order as in Nuc.
3) Add a frame of foundation either side of your 5 frames.
4) tip all bees left in nuc box into brood box (gentle tap helps)
5) Try and close the remaining space down with board, insulation, cardboard etc so they don't have to heat excess space.
6) Add a crown board and feeder.
7) Add a spare super over the feeder just to act as a spacer or eke
8) Place roof on.
9) After a few days, as the foundation gets drawn, you can add another two frames of foundation on the outsides, feed again until all frames are drawn.

are you getting your bees local? if so and if the nuc is good and full could you not take your hive round and let the supplier have the bees in your own hive ready for you to collect,
might be handier for you?
Darren

I started out with one Swarm Colony last year and had read books galore and taken a Bee Keeping course with one of the top guys, in his words I had the problems of a 3 year keeper in month 3, I now have two colonies, a lot more bee keeping stuff and a smug feeling of triumph getting them both through the winter in good shape, after fighting off three nests of wasps, Mice, Woodpeckers last year, the only thing I have not had is Aliens. It a steep learning curve, but an enjoyable one.

Take your time beekeeping, no sudden moves or waving of arms and get used to bees flying around you, have a plan in your head before opening up your nuc, when your bees are all in and hive and the roof on wait a while to see if there is any clusters of bees anywhere as the queen might be in the middle of them, you might see fanning at the entrance which is a good indication that the queen is in the hive

Latest posts

Back