What have you learnt this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need to feed in the spring, don't feed too much or they'll build up quickly and swarm on the first nice day.

Alleluia! That IS a good lesson learned. Please teach it to all!
E

Undecided swarms i.e. those that havent yet persuaded the queen to leave, but park very close by waiting for her are not docile... the very opposite in fact.

bee-smillieAlways dress up completely - I got stung on the ankle yesterday because too lazy to put on wellies for a quick procedure

I learnt lots this year. I have done an introduction to beekeeping course, read a few books and loads of stuff on line and of course reading through the posts is very informative.

I definitely want to get a hive next year. :) :hurray:

I learnt lots this year. I have done an introduction to beekeeping course, read a few books and loads of stuff on line and of course reading through the posts is very informative.

I know: agony, isn't it? Enjoy! Looks like there'l be bees fairly readily available. I guess (based on the course) you've joined the real-world BKA, as well as this online one!

Don't get a hive, get 2

Extracting honey without lots of small children or tipsy adults around is a lot less messy.

Don't buy cheap equipment on internet auction sites or you risk losing your entire year's honey harvest down the sink when the plastic valve fractures overnight.

Yes I did cry.

Dear Mr Hachi

Thank you for your email of the 12th September addressed to our store manager Mr Uxxxxxx concerning our unsaleable white sugar.

At Sainsbury's as part of our policy for respecting the environment we aim to be the UK 's greenest grocer, which is great for our business but even better for the environment.

Sainsbury's has become the UK 's largest anaerobic digestion (AD) retailer in a groundbreaking agreement with Biffa. Food waste is collected from Sainsbury's stores and sent to distribution centres across the UK, this waste is then collected by Biffa to be processed and produce renewable energy to power homes and businesses.

None of the food waste from Sainsbury's supermarkets is sent to landfill. Sainsburys limits the amount of food waste it produces through good stock control and accurate sales forecasting and every store is monitored on the amounts of waste it produces to ensure that this is kept to a minimum.

With our commitment to that above scheme we have no surplus products that we could donate to you and we are therefore unable to help with your request.

Regards
Sue Xxxxxxx Store Secretary Chippenham 0664
Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd,

No point in asking them for spilt white sugar...sad they couldn't help

... When you think a hive is queenless - they are often not
... don't be fooled into thinking that I can keep bees in my suburban garden
... bees knows best. I know very little.

i learnt that you dont have to move a hive three mile in order to move it over three yards!!

Darren

One favourite J tool... a nice little short one ... retrieved this afternoon from the bottom of an old wooden National, when re housing the colony in a BHS polly for winter.

I had looked everwhere for it... accused buddy beekeepers of coveting it... made SWMBO completely empty the handbag and car... children empty out toy boxes.... drained the garden pool... even cleared my garage.

Now all I need to locate is the lost mobile phone......:icon_204-2:

Try dialing the number from another phone near to where you last thought you had it. Then in other places, they usually turn up.

I learned that :much as enjoy watching my bees close up i should not do it in a long skirt; bees are very curious creatures, that when I an careless and squash a bee it will invariably sting and that I have a nasty reaction that can take up to a week to abate.
I also learned that I can inspect better if I do not use a smoker as I don't get the smoke in my eyes and lungs. That most people are interested in bees and love honey.

Put a pair of gloves on when hefting hives as the little b##***s might be hiding underneath even first thing in the morning!

that it was worth going for desensitisation therapy at the hospital as it seems to have worked. Even the injections which are the equivalent of 2 stings hardly give me a reaction now.

Latest posts

Back