What have you learnt this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBeeHere

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
We all manage to learn something new in beekeeping each year, whether it is to zip up your bee suit properly, or a new better method for queen rearing.
How about sharing some of your new found wisdom with everyone so we can all be better beekeepers next year.

I will start off with, never place queen mating nucs too close together as the bees seem to merge themselves together into one nuc.

Do not buy stainless steel hive tools.... because dragging a magnet around the apiary will not find them....... or cut the grass!

( unless they are made from Chinese stainless !)

IMVLE the quickest way to find a hive tool in long grass is to kneel down :eek:

Not too sure if I learned anything new this year but my goal next year is to beat finman's quota of honey per hive, time to buy a step ladder

IMVLE the quickest way to find a hive tool in long grass is to kneel down :eek:

One favourite J tool... a nice little short one ... retrieved this afternoon from the bottom of an old wooden National, when re housing the colony in a BHS polly for winter.

I had looked everwhere for it... accused buddy beekeepers of coveting it... made SWMBO completely empty the handbag and car... children empty out toy boxes.... drained the garden pool... even cleared my garage.

Now all I need to locate is the lost mobile phone......:icon_204-2:

Don't answer a mobile phone next to a hive. the bees don't like taking second place to it.

40 stings in beesuit hood after less than a min taught me that one.

...that bees are wild and are not pets! One week mild mannered, the following week, nasty little buggers. Could never trust them to behave!

Never thought I'd miss the chat room so much!!

Latest posts

Back