What have I just seen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tindog

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A few weeks ago I posted a thread about a swarm that had taken up residence in some supers. The swarm covered two super frames and I placed them in a nuc box that I had close by together with some drawn foundation.
Within an hour or so I noticed a fairly large un marked queen walking at the side of the nuc box. I picked her up and gently popped her into the nuc box, left them for a couple of days and then transferred them to my apiary a few miles away.
At the weekend I did an inspection and saw that the queen had started laying. I needed the nuc box that they were in so I found the queen, marked her and placed her and the rest of the frames from the nuc in a National Hive, placed two more drawn frames and a frame of food in the hive and a dummy board closing up the hive.
Within half an hour I noticed a collection of bees on one side of the entrance. On closer inspection I could see that they appeared to be bundling the queen out of the hive. I watched for several minutes as she attempted to re enter the hive but they were clearly not going to let her back in. I couldn't see whether she eventually gained entry or went under the hive floor. She is not clipped so although I didn't see her fly off there is a chance that she did. Do you think they have rejected her because she has been marked? If so I have never had this issue before or could they have been sending her out on another mating flight again if she hadn't been mated well enough on her initial mating flight?

The Queen had started laying and workers dragged her out to do more matings? What do you think?

Swarm had arrived few weeks ago, as you wrote.

Last edited:
Maybe they didn't like the smell of the paint you marked her with. Maybe she was just a bit nervous after you put her back, maybe she was damaged when you marked her. Maybe she'll be fine. Maybe not.

To much moving them 'from pillar to post'. Swarms are supposed to be left alone to get established.

Latest posts

Back