What happened to sulphur strips?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
All I can find are sulphur disks! I hate the bloody stuff, they don't stay lit, a real waste of time! I used to buy strips but they seem to have disappeared from the UK market. Anyone knows why?

All I can find are sulphur disks! I hate the bloody stuff, they don't stay lit, a real waste of time! I used to buy strips but they seem to have disappeared from the UK market. Anyone knows why?
I bought a bucket of “flowers of sulphur” (Sulphur powder) nice and cheap. I put a spoonful into a tea light tray and light it. Stays lit no problem!

I bought a bucket of “flowers of sulphur” (Sulphur powder) nice and cheap. I put a spoonful into a tea light tray and light it. Stays lit no problem!
I might just smash this lot in small bits and do the same.

I find lighting the discs with a blowtorch gets them going and they stay lit. You need to store them dry though... I keep mine in a coffee jar .. one of Douwe Egberts ones with a good sealing lid. If they get damp they do tend to go out.

I find lighting the discs with a blowtorch gets them going and they stay lit. You need to store them dry though... I keep mine in a coffee jar .. one of Douwe Egberts ones with a good sealing lid. If they get damp they do tend to go out.
That will be why then, mine are in the shed!

That will be why then, mine are in the shed!
I think they mix the sulphur in the discs with some sort of binding medium that absorbs moisture ... and that's what affects them. I'm not sure whether putting them on a tray in the oven on a low temperature might dry them out a bit and help ? Worth a try ... Sulphur melts at about 100 degrees C so there's no risk if you set the temp well below that.

Sulphur powder is available from on line sources.
Why not accelerate the process? I had a Merit boys chemistry set which had a booklet describing mixing it with ground charcoal and potassium nitrate. The resultant mix burnt VERY rapidly. 😎

Last I read was sulphur was used to kill skep bees. So.............what are you guys using it for?

PH

Back