What do you call your hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hives are called...Blue Beehaus, Purple Beehaus etc..the two Green Beehausies are No 1 & No 2. Other hives are also called by the colour...Pink Hive,Yellow Hive etc Queen records are in the notes as they are changeable.
Soon I will also have Blue Dartington and Green Dartington.
Nucs are also by colour.
I have been thinking of having hive books for each hive...irrespective of the queen...as that would be in the notes. Nucs could still have a hive card which could be put
in the back of the hive book when amalgamated or rehived.

Well, such a variance in naming conventions. I am pleased that people do not generally stick to 1, 2, 3 etc as it is nice to have a little artistic flavour into what is a perhaps more craft/science. If I didn't already have bees in one of my hives I would like to have painted them a different colour...too late now, there's no way I am getting in there on a sunny day armed with only a beesuit and paintbrush!

Hives, although technically they are not hives but cubes or box shaped, so what are we referring to, is it the vessel that bees are in or the colonies themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back