what do I do with my supers??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eatmorebeans

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok guys, it looks like I still have 2 active pollen foraging colonies, both with plenty of stores still and hardly any mite drop (2 or 3 a week). This is my first winter with the bees. I've (rightly or wrongly) overwintered with one super on each brood box, no excluder, and OMF.

I'm making the assumtion that what remains in the supers is apigard tainted sugar syrup derived bee food, not honey, and some ivy honey.

At some stage I will want to re-fit the QE and use the supers to collect honey. I have other supers but none of them have drawn comb.

So, I feel the need to "clense" my supers, yat I've neither read nor heard of this practise. I'm considering removing the supers at the first inspection, spinning them off and feeding the resultant mixture back to the bees to take down to the BB. Then I can re-super, getting the bees to clean the supers out.

Any comments, crticisms or alternative suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks

Tony

After my first harvest last year, I put the wet supers above an open crownboard, and the bees cleaned them up a treat. Had read it on the forum.

I assume it would work just the same for you, but more experienced are likely to have more ideas.

I am fortunate I have a spare chest freezer - so after 'cleaning' I also subject every super to a 3 day freeze to kill any wax moth larvae etc. Seems to work quite well.

When the bees are active, bruise the cappings with your hive tool, put the super under the brood and they will shift it out for you.

PH

Or, if you want to, keep them as brood-and-a-half.

I prefer single but it does have its advantages...

Ben P

When the bees are active, bruise the cappings with your hive tool, put the super under the brood and they will shift it out for you.

PH

Would that not encourage robbing if using open mesh floors ?

Never has yet for me. Would I post it if it did?

PH

Would that not encourage robbing if using open mesh floors ?

Admin,
Why do you think an OMF would be any different to a solid floor? I think the concern about robbing is overdone anyway. I posted something a short while ago and a novice suggested that beeks who had been in the business for 70 odd years or more were potty for leaving a slit under the supers open for ease of access during the heavy forage season "because it might invite robbing". Bloody rude frankly!!!

I could tell you a tried and tested method of avoiding robbing during heavy feeding but last time I posted it I was called all sorts and told I was a serious disease issue... so I won't.

PH

I could tell you a tried and tested method of avoiding robbing during heavy feeding but last time I posted it I was called all sorts and told I was a serious disease issue... so I won't.

PH

Oh go on please tell, it's these little snippets of information that are the most interesting. Besides the only thing you can do with advice is to give it away.

Ian

Arfhomo said:
I posted something a short while ago and a novice suggested that beeks who had been in the business for 70 odd years or more were potty for leaving a slit under the supers open for ease of access during the heavy forage season "because it might invite robbing". Bloody rude frankly!!!

As you can see the offending post I made where I fair ripped the very idea to pieces in a shower of derision which would rival any Top Gear presenter. It was so bad I had letters. In "FACT" it was actually a question of the above poster. Being a "Novice" and being inexperienced I think it prudent that I play it safe until I get the hang of things. But hey never let the truth an all that. . .
Originally Posted by Arfermo
One or more of the most experienced beeks in my BKA sick 3 supers on right at the outset of the season. Some drawn, others not and all his colonies (30 odd) are on brood and a half minimum. Another interesting point is that an old boy who has kept bees from the age of 7 until now when he is 82 (not a mistype) makes access for the foragers easier by drilling holes direct into the supers for them to by pass putting mucky feet all over the brood comb. Towards the end of the season he put corks in the holes. Another similarly experienced beek does it a little differently he slides the heap of supers one by one giving the bees access where the lugs are. Different method, similar aim - ie speeding up honey production at the first flow period when it is most desirable, especially with mountains of local rape available in this agricultral county. I will be doing likewise soon.

Originally Posted by Storm
I have read about this too. Seems like a sensible idea but as newbie I wont be doing it. Aside from the point that a WBC wouldnt lend itself to this, will it not also make the colony harder to defend, and therefore robbing would happen more easily. If not in constant view the hive could be over run in an hour?

I would have thought the easiest way to stop robbing would be to give the robbers an alternative and easier source of food.
Could you not put out some sugar syrup a few yards away from your attacked hive?
OK I'll run away now...................................

Latest posts

Back