What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have been out in the workshop today but... Once again I am ill :( Cellulitis for the second time. Felt dizzy late Monday evening and decided to go to bed, but as soon as I got there my entire body started convulsing violently. I have no recollection of yesterday, but it appears to have involved a lot of sweat. Apparently it's more likely you'll get it if you've had it before, so I guess I'm going to have to learn to live with this. Thanks to a GP who was willing to diagnose from photos taken on my phone I'm on a whale-size dose of penicillin now, so it should just be a matter of time.

Hope you start to feel better soon, James

Repaired an old Nuc. Replaced one side and the bottom as well as replacing the sides (drops?) Of the lid. Nice coat of paint on exterior and all looks good and ready to use again although I need to add a waterproof cover to the lid...
Made a 5" deep eke from old floorboards and an insulating filler for around my round feeder when it's time to use one. Insulation was made from a polystyrene packing piece cut to size, sides made and a large plant pot placed where the feeder will go before fixing it all together with a couple of squirts of expanding foam... my god that stuff really does expand. It's quite rigid and slides in and out of the eke nicely.

Pottering canny in the lousy weather.
K ;)

Last edited:
so a dummy frame rather than a dummy board, using a Hoffman frame for this means you then give the bees double beespace on that side so they draw out the adjoining frame too far.
A dummy board is just that - a flat board which, when placed against the last frame becomes, as far as the bees are concerned, the wall of the hive.

so a dummy frame rather than a dummy board, using a Hoffman frame for this means you then give the bees double beespace on that side so they draw out the adjoining frame too far.
A dummy board is just that - a flat board which, when placed against the last frame becomes, as far as the bees are concerned, the wall of the hive.
Nope it works as a dummy board aldepending which way you put it back in the hive .

not with Hoffman sidebars it doesn't.
A dummy board is just that - a board with a top bar of the same width which sits flush against the end frame in a hive
You can cut either spacer of the sides if the frame doesn’t fit, but it works fine as a dummy board the correx side doesn’t interfere with extra bee space I’ve been making them and using them for four years, and yes if you turn it around the bee space is compromised and the end frame will get drawn out bigger.
Use Manley frame side bars also that works

Simple dummy board made from a brood frame and some correx/inspection board cut to size and nailed on one side, easily able to remove the correx to clean both frame and correxView attachment 38710

I've put polystyrene sheet between the correx filling the empty frame and used them on either side of the box overwinter. Think they give more insulation than a part-drawn or empty brood frame. ?

#edit You need a strip of correx along the bottom to stop them chewing out the polystyrene.

Last edited:
I've put polystyrene sheet between the correx filling the empty frame and used them on either side of the box overwinter. Think they give more insulation than a part-drawn or empty brood frame. ?
Yes that’s another idea thanks for sharing 🙂

Latest posts

Back