What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painting day

I had a painting day today. I got all my bee equipment out to see what needed a lick of paint, It was never ending, and ive still got loads to do.

I did get one of my bait hives out on my garage roof ready for spring. This was made from pallet wood with a cut down plastic barrel for the roof.
Have a look on my blog if your interested, theres a few pics.

http://www.mybees.co.uk

Similarly, I have now painted all my Paynes poly roofs (rather a lot of supers still to do though).
A good "drying day".

Based on the texture of the plastic surface after their scrubbing brush and hosepipe pre-paint preparation, it would be a better bet to paint them before rushing them into use ...
Anyway, they look much better now. (And should last a bit longer, I trust.)

After the cloud rolled in, I assembled my last wooden roof flatpack. Now I have the same number of wooden roofs as I have wooden brood boxes, so a bit of a sort out (and less of the interoperability demonstration) is all set for implementation.

Finished making new shed from pallet wood, cost me £50 on bits and bobs.
I should have waited for the paint to dry before taking a photo but light was fading

Attachments

• WIN_20150318_175112.JPG
    WIN_20150318_175112.JPG
    439.6 KB · Views: 73
Nice job redwood working on a few bits at the moment all from salvaged timber, very satisfying thing to do.

Brilliant effort. Can you come round and make me one? I have a few bits and pieces I could fill it with....have to paint it with Camo paint though :)

Finished making new shed from pallet wood, cost me £50 on bits and bobs.
I should have waited for the paint to dry before taking a photo but light was fading

You need to secure it better though - it seems to have toppled over

Constructed two division boards, four dartington style floors and two snelgrove boards bee-smillie

Oh, and a crown board using some polycarbonate I got off eBay. 2 x 1m 10mm sheet for 24 quid that the supplier cut into 8 squares.
Add some strip wood, few screws, glue and a bit of wood preservative and job done. I reckon about 6 quid each, a lot cheaper than big t :winner1st:

Oh, and a crown board using some polycarbonate I got off eBay. 2 x 1m 10mm sheet for 24 quid that the supplier cut into 8 squares.
Add some strip wood, few screws, glue and a bit of wood preservative and job done. I reckon about 6 quid each, a lot cheaper than big t :winner1st:

PM Sent

Finaly got the mesh yesterday following the supplier "loosing" my delivery....

:spy:

Now all I need to do is paint them....

Thought I'd get my bain marie into action using some lovely near white cappings which I kept in a big dish in the utility......

:hairpull::hairpull: Damn wax moth found it..... for pity's sake is there no justice?

So wax should be kept sealed up tight even in the house???

Sounds good.

Do you mount the polycarbonate inside a wood edge, or does it go right to the hive edge? I mean, can any light get in at the edge?

Sounds like a good deal, do you have a link to the eBay seller? Thanks

Started painting/woodstaining the roofs and floors I made a few weeks ago as my mesh (the same as Hachi's) has finally arrived after the first lot got lost in the post. put the galv roofs of two of them and cut kingspan to size for the inside.
Sharpened all my tools in readiness for the apiary maintenance day tomorrow - wonder how many will turn up?

Thought I'd get my bain marie into action using some lovely near white cappings which I kept in a big dish in the utility......

:hairpull::hairpull: Damn wax moth found it..... for pity's sake is there no justice?

So wax should be kept sealed up tight even in the house???

"Sealed tight" doesn't work, not even in the house, not if eggs etc are already on the cappings.

Nearly got caught out by leaving some cappings in a box for only about a week. Rescued it by melting - the heat kills eggs and any small larvae.

Last edited:
I put my wax in the freezer for a day or so before transferring it to a 'Tupperware' type storage box until I get enough to warrant melting it down into blocks. Not had a problem with wax moth so far.

Sounds good.

Do you mount the polycarbonate inside a wood edge, or does it go right to the hive edge? I mean, can any light get in at the edge?

Hi, my woodworking skills are nothing special so I 'sandwiched' the poly between stripwood at the edges for beespace. The clear part of the sandwich I sealed with brown silicon. I hope that makes sense??

Link for eBay polycarbonate:

Item no 371031517043 10mm clear, omegabuild the supplier

It was a sunny day, so I got up from my computer and converted the 20 pallets that's been lying in my garden for 5 months into planks:

planks1.jpg

Then I cut them up using my table saw into planks of 30 mm wide, and then I measured them out according to my calculations, and then I cut them with a handheld figure saw (faster than the table saw for doing cross cuts):

planks2.jpg

And then I started glueing them together. Here you see one side wall and one front/rear wall. The idea is that I fit them together with a faux finger joint that I'll glue and nail as well.

planks3.jpg

I cut enough wood for 3 supers and one brood box, but this first one is to see if the concept actually works.

As SWMBO is away camping with her friends in wooly West Wales got time to poter between jobs started making up 100 super frames, finishing painting the ten floors I made a while back and cutting the mesh to size, knocking together broods and supers.May take a break Monday and mow the lawns and cut down the old apple tree before SWMBO comes home.

Latest posts

Back