What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a new stand, experimenting with a 2 ft height to see if it helps with the backache and made more frames with foundation after swarm collecting.

This evening took apart my last remaining (still unused !) pallet wood Top bar hive and converted it into a 14 x 12 maxi nuc with space for 7 frames. Double skin walls and cavity wall insulation .. it will have a mesh floor which will clip onto the bottom of the hive like my Long Deep Hive ... and and and .... well ...it will have a roof but it's still in the planning stage ... perhaps tomorrow evening a bit more ? Sort of plan as I go job ! (Nothing changes ...)

Time to clean the extractor so cleaned with cold water and pressure washer. Ready now for extraction. Also built 6 brood frames again for another captured swarm still need to build more for bb and supers also still need to build floor and roofs

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Built up 3 hive stands (including landing boards and frame holders) for the three new arrivals. Handy having bits of wood left over from rebuilding the garage roof & wood store.

Sort of plan as I go job

Evolution :D

I like that word .... I will keep it if you don't mind.

As you know I do a bit of wood turning and inevitably my cavalier ways with a chisel get me into trouble and the original piece has to be modified, indeed, is occasionally unrecognisable as what was planned ... my wood turning mentor describes this as a 'design opportunity' ... I will offer this is return !!

Phil

Nothing had a day off building frames, and hives, roofs and floors!

Due to hiving two swarms and a demarree, a brief stocktake spurred me to make up another forty brood frames just in case, also cramped up another flatpack brood box that I happened to find in a dark corner of the shed :D.

completed final open mesh floors, and started on roofs, finished making brood frames, and now need to start in more shallow frames.

Stripped down an old pine deck that someone was getting rid of, wondering now if the glue thy use on furniture is good enough for a beehive :hairpull:

Stripped down an old pine deck that someone was getting rid of, wondering now if the glue thy use on furniture is good enough for a beehive :hairpull:

It all depends how old? old old and probably animal glue and no good outside. Great glue but does not like the damp ; (

cut up timber for two hive stands and five under floor entrance OMF's, will put up the stands on the footpath when it is drier - floor will have to wait until I get some more 2 1/2" screws - oops!

Painted up 2 more MB langstroth polyhives and 2 polynucs . Now to get to work on the foundation-less frames…

Tempted to swap out the hive stands from last year and paint them in some preservative. They're still solid but look a little sorry for themselves; especially the landing boards.

Cleaned rapid feeders and then placed in dishwasher for final clean. Washed 40 bottles for mead , syphoned first demijohn into bottles it tastes strong Hick!

There is nowhere to sit down to put my bee suit on so made a bench, I made it big enough for me a mate and a few cups of coffee, until SWMBO came home and took a instant like to it and threw me a plastic chair :hairpull:

Got my spanners and socket set to tighten honey bucket valves.!!!

@Redwood nice bench..do you do mail order!!!

Back