What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Nigel, hope they work well for you. One point it will be good to brush some petroleum jelly on the moving parts as it will reduce everything getting stuck together and a bugger to clean.

I like the idea of fishing line but some say if it is wired horizontally the bees will chew on it but if used in a criss cross direction then the bees will leave it alone. I didn't know until the other day that Dave Cushman used fishing line. I don't know if there is any real advantage in using fishing line only that the bees won't omit the cells where the wire is.
One day there will probably be a 3D wax printer available that will be able to print out sheets of foundation to any particular dimension and cell size, just press print, leave it run overnight and collect your 50 sheets of foundation the next morning

3D printer printing wax, it will probably happen one day.

The diagonal fishing line is probably as good as any other method, but you will have to be careful not to pull the frame out of square if you over tension one side.

i made 2 of these

Hope that was not copied exactly.

The sliding piece looks to be rather larger than necessary and I hope there is either a bee space or no space between the handle and the slide.

The closer the mesh is (to the edge) the less there is to get glued together. Vaseline on sliding parts would be good, so varnishing edges first is a good ploy.

But looks good enough to do the job.

RAB

Not copied from anything.
I chose to put a 25mm landing board on the entrance side not seen any like that on sale.
The QE opening is probably larger than it needed to be but i didn't know how large to make it and i thought bigger the better.
There is bee space above the excluder so they don't get stuck.
There is bee space under the slide.
The sliding door is rather large i will be cutting that down later.
I will be putting vaseline on the moving parts before use.
I looked at a few pics and just made it. The hole is slightly further back than some because i wanted to be able to remove the sliding door for sterilising and cleaning after use.
I'll see how it works and make the next ones differently if i have problems.

I'm happy with it. My woodwork teacher at school told me the only woodwork i should do is coffin making as that is only way any customer wouldn't complain.

Made frames and boxed up 2 sets of Bailey comb changes. Ekes with entrances made to move one MB colony into another MB box and one MB into a Paynes box.
Weather looking good tomorrow so set for then.
Both colonies are stuffed full of brood and old frames are rubbish. It will give them something to do.

Easer way, wrap some beeswax around a match and use it as a candle

Hmm - tried it, matches aren't up to much unfortunately, flame just fizzled and died, but when these matches burn, boy, do they burn!. Got a routine going - rolled up the bits of wax into like a crayon shaped piece so there was a bit of guts to it, then held a match under - got it done in no time, but usually the match would only last three or four dots, sometimes quite a bit of melted wax would soak into the match and it wouldn't go out, which was nice - until it got down to the last quarter of an inch and your finger was on fire!! :eek::willy_nilly:
All done now - but this is just for the orphanage hives, everyone else will probably stick to what I showed them and have half a dozen starter strips to make the hive more attractive, and give them a start.

Hmm - tried it, matches aren't up to much unfortunately, flame just fizzled and died, but when these matches burn, boy, do they burn!. Got a routine going - rolled up the bits of wax into like a crayon shaped piece so there was a bit of guts to it, then held a match under - got it done in no time, but usually the match would only last three or four dots, sometimes quite a bit of melted wax would soak into the match and it wouldn't go out, which was nice - until it got down to the last quarter of an inch and your finger was on fire!! :eek::willy_nilly:
All done now - but this is just for the orphanage hives, everyone else will probably stick to what I showed them and have half a dozen starter strips to make the hive more attractive, and give them a start.

It seamed like a good idea at the time with limited resources, I was going to mention your shoe laces as a wick :D

It seamed like a good idea at the time with limited resources, I was going to mention your shoe laces as a wick :D

Funnily enough, when I was almost done one of the 'committee' (the original disabled founders of the centre) who is a leather worker suggested we could try some of his thick waxed saddler's thread and made a candle :banghead:

Last edited:
Funnily enough, when I was almost done one of the 'committee' (the original disabled founders of the centre) who is a leather worker suggested we could try some of his thick waxed saddler's thread and made a candle :banghead:

See ... that's Africa for you ... always a way round the problem - but usually too late to be of use !!

Decided that the el cheapo table saw must go. I can't get the blade to cut at 90 degrees... it's at about 89 degrees and there is no way to adjust it further than that. It's fine for cutting wood that's really thin (e.g. 18 mm thick), but today I did a test cut on a 4 cm beam of hardwood, and the skewness was noticeable.

This means I'm going to have to dig deep in my pockets.

10yp82u.jpg

Routered, screwed and glued 7 commercial brood boxes, just need to varnish now.

I made another clear crownboard to replace the last timber one in my Long Hive - I'm not big on measuring .. but ... recognising the need for accuracy as it had to fit the space left by the other two crown boards I got out my tape measure and measured it ... How is it possible that I managed to measure it twice at 43.5 x 39 cms ... Only to find when I went to put it in at the end of todays inspection that the space is actually 43.5 x 29 cms ... Doh ... back to the bandsaw !!

I made another clear crownboard to replace the last timber one in my Long Hive - I'm not big on measuring .. but ... recognising the need for accuracy as it had to fit the space left by the other two crown boards I got out my tape measure and measured it ... How is it possible that I managed to measure it twice at 43.5 x 39 cms ... Only to find when I went to put it in at the end of todays inspection that the space is actually 43.5 x 29 cms ... Doh ... back to the bandsaw !!

Could have been worse , could have cut it at 29 cms . When it should have been 39 cms ! Double doh! :))))
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could have been worse , could have cut it at 29 cms . When it should have been 39 cms ! Double doh! :))))
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yehhhh ... been there, done that ! My lack of measuring skills are legendary ... it's actually rare that I actually measure anything - I find my eye is more reliable than my ability to use any measuring devices - nine times out of ten - no problem - one in ten - DISASTER !

I just bought some wood.

Just need to remember what I need it for.........

Something to do with the new shed or beehives?

Just made up three 14x12 brood flat packs and a 14x12 Nuc, i would have continued by SWHMBO decided it was too late as i would be annoying the neighbours with "all that banging" and I would suffer the consequences if i continued,

so now it is just 37 frames to make.....

Taught my kids to make up frames and wondered why I'd thought I had enoughfoundation.

Made a double-brood super for a Paynes poly nuc by cutting the base off a second Paynes poly nuc. All that careful intern al measuring, only to be surprised that it was... 225mm tall. Doh!

Also made up a national brrod box out of 18mm ply etc. Just about keeping up with my bees, but only just...

Latest posts

Back