What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started making a foundation press, what a messy job silicon sealer everywhere and the kitchen stinks :hairpull: but my rocket stove I made last week works a treat :sifone:

Made from a calor gas bottle, I use it to boil water for frame cleaning in a cut down small beer barrel

Did a stocktake of my gear and decided I needed more floors and so I made an underfloor Brynmair entrance following his design posted earlier. Very easy and whilst robust will serve me well. Thanks Jenks...

Did a stocktake of my gear and decided I needed more floors and so I made an underfloor Brynmair entrance following his design posted earlier. Very easy and whilst robust will serve me well. Thanks Jenks...
I made one last year but never got around to using it but I am getting quite fond of then now

Boiled up thirty - odd assorted frames for use in supers, brood and bait hives. The resulting water was a whole new shade of brown I've never seen before!!

Five 'under entrance' floors ready, a few broods cleaned up and I made a start on the new supers. Shed is starting to look very full of bee stuff.

It's out and doesn't look too bad, there are only a few little air bubbles, so just need to construct some ironwork and bobs your uncle.

Well, somebody else's workshop - went through the process of making one top bar with groove with the local joiner at London (Pitseng) and ordered seventy five of them - bit pricey though at eight Maloti each (that's about 47p)

Last edited:
I would not use silicone sealer but silicone moulding liquid and pour it onto the foundation in a made up frame, do this again so you have to halves and mount them on metal plates, hinges can be tacked on later. The reason for metal over wood is that metal can be cooled quicker by water of forced air which will accelerate the manufacturing process

I would not use silicone sealer but silicone moulding liquid and pour it onto the foundation in a made up frame, do this again so you have to halves and mount them on metal plates, hinges can be tacked on later. The reason for metal over wood is that metal can be cooled quicker by water of forced air which will accelerate the manufacturing process

Thanks for that. I have been considering either making one or getting one like Bee Crazy - but that would not be economical for me (not enough hives).

got the last of my supers scorched and fitted new runners.

realised i need more hive stands if things work out the way i hope.

Slightly behind on spare kit so I assembled four brood boxes and 33 frames that should ease the pressure, but will need a good few more frames yet.

i got sick of hammering causing me pain so i bought a nail gun.
made 20 frames up no problem .

Latest posts

Back