What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you on regular change of comb every 3/4 years.
I haven't got loads of frames to process but in the next few years I will and I don't want to waste all that wax which I will probably use myself as foundation probably even make my own.
Have you ever processed it enough to use for candle making brood frames etc?
No it’s far too dirty even after processing through the steamer and a larger wax steamer and filter. No good for candles at all or any other wax type projects. Only for recycling for foundation but felt v guilty doing that after the event so won’t do again. I was down in your neck of the woods at the weekend, near Leominster, thought about your bees seeing all the snowdrops and aconites out!

No it’s far too dirty even after processing through the steamer and a larger wax steamer and filter. No good for candles at all or any other wax type projects. Only for recycling for foundation but felt v guilty doing that after the event so won’t do again. I was down in your neck of the woods at the weekend, near Leominster, thought about your bees seeing all the snowdrops and aconites out!
Agree there. I tried a couple of times but brood wax, whatever I did with it, produced brown wax and smelly candles

Agree there. I tried a couple of times but brood wax, whatever I did with it, produced brown wax and smelly candles
Two or three filtrations through flannellette sheet does the job ... it never comes up to the bright yellow/cream colour of cappings wax but it gets out all the impurities that cause the smelly smoke and leaves it an acceptable if slightly darker colour.

I would be the first to admit that you don't get lots of wax out of brood frames but with a solar wax melter it costs nothing to recover so every little helps. I collect all the bits from hive scrapings, brace comb and even queen cells - the bees spend time making it so I may as well recover as much as possible all goes into the mix.

Also been painting some supers and nucs, a very boring colour I know but thinking from a security point of view in an out apiary, want them to look as uninteresting as possible, might paint the fronts with other colours which won't be seen from afar. The UE have all got different colour landing boards. I've always used Protek paints, 2 coats is really tough wearing coverage and lots of colours and low VOC.

IMG_2735.jpg. IMG_2734.JPG

ges in it. Looking forward to giving it a go in the spring. If it doesn't work the grandchildren will be getting it for hatching eggs for chickens (they are on a farm). Works out at about £26 all in. Good humidity too I think. Have moved this to the queen rearing incubator thread as it seems more appropriate there.

Attachments

• IMG_3753.JPG
    IMG_3753.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3754.JPG
    IMG_3754.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thanks for that Elaine,

Thanks Elaine, aye I've noticed the snow drops and aconite flowering around the area, some down out in the woodland at the knowl where the girls are.
A few times you've been down this way you'll be moving here next. :giggle:

Another part day in the work shop today, then out to weigh hives using luggage scales, yesterday spent some time rendering wax down from cappings, Friday labelling then more wax rendering and another workshop day getting bait boxes ready. IMG_20220201_164625.jpg

I have dandelion wax still that’s a lovely yellow.

Another part day in the work shop today, then out to weigh hives using luggage scales, yesterday spent some time rendering wax down from cappings,

That does look dark. Is that from brood frames?

If you clean it up properly and make it look nice it encourages others.
This is what I use for my potions.
View attachment 30234
I haven't finished cleaning it up yet that was the first rendering when I've done it a second time I'll take some photos :)

What’s a heather biscuit?
A biscuit from the press, after I've pressed the Heather honey from scraping from the mid- rib.
It creates a biscuit of pressed wax which hasn't been rendered, all my Heather supers were from newly drawn wax.

Ah thanks.
Making these reversable CBs and just simply nailing them timber is tile battern what do you think?
Going to use some of this for clear cbs16438038254494724291751419009631.jpg
1cm poly carb

Attachments

• IMG_20220202_105354.jpg
    IMG_20220202_105354.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220202_105342.jpg
    IMG_20220202_105342.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
Will you find that polycarbonate difficult to clean?
Yes ... and the ends need sealing otherwise you will have ideal breeding areas for all sorts of wildlife. I tried these double walled roofing sheets - they seem to attract more propolis than the single polycarbonate sheets and being double walled it's not quite so easy to see through them anyway. I know some people use them so they may suit some people ... for me 4mm or 5mm polycarb sheet is the answer.

Latest posts

Back