What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of building a small shed cheaply out of insulation boards to store the ever increasing supers, I just hope it won't be like the story of the three little pigs

Cut the "Lugs" off 10 P's poly floors with a meat cleaver and glued them into the brood boxes then started the delightful job of painting.
I can see your reasoning here but apart from aesthetics there really is no need to glue the bits onto the corners of the brood chamber. If you ever go double brood, that gap is a very, very handy place to gain leverage with the hive tool.

I was thinking of building a small shed cheaply out of insulation boards to store the ever increasing supers, I just hope it won't be like the story of the three little pigs

And - you don't really want an insulated shed for your drawn comb - cold is best to knock down them pesky wax moths - open sides to my stores down side is end of the season SWMBO can see how much kit I've accumulated!

Came back home this evening and made a few 3" ekes from scraps of wate ply lying around (I thought they may come in handy one day!) for the English feeders going on four hives tomorrow.

I started to glue a project together for a beekeeping buddy destined for the honey show and then I decided to make a table for myself in practice for the rather expensive art deco one I have to restore.

would that be like a poly tunnel with a flat roof?

I remember reading on t'internet about a bloke who clad his polytunnel with concrete to make a cheap shed. IIRC - he started with a thin screed, then put chicken wire over that, then another screed, then ran rebar over that, followed by a final, and very thick screed. Bit like a ferro-cement boat, only upside down.

LJ

Had a day of bagging and stacking supers, sorting excluders, painting floors and nucs. Tomorrow I will be mainly scorching and stacking brood boxes.

Tidying up in the workshop/chamber of secrets before making a mess again! - sealed three sides of cut ends on two plywood hive roofs I was given (yes, honestly - given! he has access to loads of offcuts and a massive workshop so he occupies himself in lunch breaks) i'll finish sealing them tomorrow and stain at leisure - had a stock take of remaining flat packs prior to making a shopping list in case there are bargains anywhere.

Tidying up in the workshop/chamber of secrets before making a mess again! - sealed three sides of cut ends on two plywood hive roofs I was given (yes, honestly - given! he has access to loads of offcuts and a massive workshop so he occupies himself in lunch breaks) i'll finish sealing them tomorrow and stain at leisure - had a stock take of remaining flat packs prior to making a shopping list in case there are bargains anywhere.

Loads of bargains next weekend at the big t sale. Happy to get you anything you may need

Screwed together two poly supers which I had managed to break. I prefer the Pay*** ones which I do not seem to be able to destroy.
Cazza

I knocked up a nock up an internal cage/brazier to carry the fuel using a perforated tin can! A kidney bean can, and used a drill to drill a number of holes, and then used a tin snip to create a stand, as my smoker does not have one!

from @drstitson suggestion here in this thread:-

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26780

Ronsealed (well, the cheaper Wilkinsons version anyway but that doesn't make a tidy verb or adjective!) two hive roofs and a roof from a six frame nuc which I had to rebuild as the wood delaminated awfuly within a few months of using (two years ago) - but everytime I think of repairing it I've had a need of a six frame nuc so finally managed with the aid of a new nuc i built last year (now in use) and one borrowed from somewhere!

Made a Langstroth jumbo brood box, base and two supers. Now to sand and finish them and make the roof...

Spent today cutting up a sheet of ply and some timber as rails to make a couple of 14 x 12 brood boxes. Kept some of the ply to make more supers and deep roofs to use next season. My ELU saw has worked harder this autumn than it has for years.
I thought beekeeping would be a sedentary occupation but I seem to have been mistaken.

Made half a (2 x langstroth hives) stand out of a (very) old and dirty oak fencepost and lots of rather grotty pallet wood.

The rest to be completed tomorrow.. if housework and cheffing allows

Have you seen the tv advert for a washing machine where the young girl comes down the stairs and her mum gives her "the look", she turns and goes back upstairs?
Well I went out to the shed, loaded up the Kochstar with old wax and carried it into the kitchen and..........well I took it straight out into the shed again of course.

Latest posts

Back