What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked a swarm that arrived in my bait hive on 9th July (and was put in a proper hive next day). Four frames of capped brood and one of open brood. Found and marked a pretty dark coloured queen. Bees seem friendly which was a nice surprise given they look like AMM

9FB81670-4F52-4B4E-9194-C7CF5A1BCBFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Caught a swarm in my apiary this evening. 2m away from the hives in a bay hedge. One of the hives has been all over the shop this year, lost a bought queen, put on a test frame and let them get on with it. The queen cells looked weak, I didn't think they would be viable, hence the swarm, found and marked a lovely large queen, how wrong I was. Quick inspection of the colony I think she came from, very calm no eggs at present but I think they may have a queen somewhere in there. Will reunite the swarm further down the line as I don't want 6 hives!!!!! Think we may have a tidy harvest, they've really picked up the pace as a few weeks ago the supers were dry!!

Attachments

• VID-20240729-WA0035~2.mp4
    855.8 KB
Hive swarmed yesterday. Caught my Queen and gave her to a friends Hive.

3 Capped Swarm cells. Which wasn't many? Reduced them down to 1. This is roughly day 9 for the Queen cell

Is it too late in the year for the Queen to get out, mate and get through the Winter?

Checked a swarm that arrived in my bait hive on 9th July (and was put in a proper hive next day). Four frames of capped brood and one of open brood. Found and marked a pretty dark coloured queen. Bees seem friendly which was a nice surprise given they look like AMM

View attachment 40846
Could be Carpathian if you compare the queen's markings to the one on the BMH website, or even have some Carniolan or something else in her. Dark does not automatically mean AMM.

View attachment 40846
Would be delighted if an AMM swarm came my way, she is a very dark queen. Should be interesting to see how her progeny via queen cells work out this coming year

Would be delighted if an AMM swarm came my way, she is a very dark queen. Should be interesting to see how her progeny via queen cells work out this coming year
I picked up an AMM swarm that landed in my back garden end of June. Really feisty, Don't give up the chase either.

Just curious why do you leave so many supers on, I am guessing that some have capped honey
I run big colonies: they need lots of space: three ish supers full of honey - but usually uncapped - and two for nectar..
Fewer supers = swarming.

I run big colonies: they need lots of space: three ish supers full of honey - but usually uncapped - and two for nectar..
Fewer supers = swarming.
What’s your tactic for avoiding part full supers at the end of the season? I’m wondering what’s best to do with mine

I picked up an AMM swarm that landed in my back garden end of June. Really feisty, Don't give up the chase either.
Helped a young chap earlier this year with his hive that was queenless, jeepers they were nasty and followed us some distance, One was so determined it managed to sting my wrist through gloves and 3 layer suit...there must have been a sweet spot and it found it. The bees came from Yorkshire and clearly were not happy in Lancashire

What’s your tactic for avoiding part full supers at the end of the season? I’m wondering what’s best to do with mine
I strip out the heavy frames into one super..
But having extracted three times this year already, I have now a maximum of three supers on most colonies.

The flow seems to be ending around here. I wonder if I can remove the supers this early without them wanting to swarm when the extra space is removed. They are on single deeps. The harvest seems to be getting earlier each year!

I strip out the heavy frames into one super..
But having extracted three times this year already, I have now a maximum of three supers on most colonies.
What do you do with the part full frames?

Helped a young chap earlier this year with his hive that was queenless, jeepers they were nasty and followed us some distance, One was so determined it managed to sting my wrist through gloves and 3 layer suit...there must have been a sweet spot and it found it. The bees came from Yorkshire and clearly were not happy in Lancashire
It's the colour of the roses innit? Mind you I like the ones with nutty bits in them. 🖖

Latest posts

Back