What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A slightly different swarm collection this yesterday evening, I was contacted around 19:00 by a farmer who had a swarm fall down his chimney and into his living room.

I presume despite the 3 clusters around the window that this is just a single swarm not seeveral castes, I imagine the queen when trying to escape left pheromones on the window that attracted the swarm to settle in different places around the window.

Well worth the visit as it turns out not only for this swarm but the farmer has some spring sown field beans I can move my bees too in the coming weeks too 😀

Having expected an enjoyable evening watering the plants in my garden this swarm certainly demonstrated that they have a few “defensive” bees. This colony definitely won’t be relocated to the allotment, it can go to the farm and earn its keep there.

0683767E-F4E8-4C95-AD61-FB7E4A3AFDF3.jpegIMG_7920.jpegIMG_7924.jpeg

Bit of a panic weds evening; heard the tap, tap of bees of the glass in the woodburner trying to get out. Had a look at the chimney and a few bees flying around, so lit a smokey fire. Seemed to do the trick, but then saw several groups of 20 ish bees around the roof, tiles and gutters exploring gaps. Obviously checking out sites. Went into my two garden hives and three nucs - all Q+, but did find a couple of Q cells in a hive I merged a couple of days ago, plus eggs - but couldn't see the Q. Took these down. Anyhow, things quietened down around the house, and yesterday morning I went through all the hives again to double check - all okay. As I was packing up I heard the roar of a swarm exiting a high tree next to the garden. They've obviously found somewhere to go - hopefully a tree cavity or similar. The bees were not from my hives, and I don't know where they came from, or how long they had been there. I think the nearest hives to mine are at least half a mile away.

Last edited:
I once spotted a lot of bes exploring the holes in a compost bin next to the greenhouse. Quickly ran to get a nuc box which I put on top. Ten minutes later a swarm arrived and went in. But difficult to do that on top of a chimney though

Yesterday put test frames in two nucs.
Today found virgin/? mated queens on the open brood in each.. That simplifies queen finding - difficult in the horrible weather we have had. Marked both..
Found virgin?/mated queen in a full hive- one "donated" to me when Q-

Set up nicot queen rearing in another hive: hope it works this time and bees do not eat eggs as per last two. Better weather should help.
Reorganised cloake board starter/finisher double nuc.

Swarm I collected and housed two days ago has absconded.. Where to? Lots of trees around...
My nicot rearing has been a dud so far this year as well, but still not managing grafting..
On to another method for now I think!

Good old Royal Mail. Queen due to arrive by 1pm GUARANTEED overnight post. Nuc made up yesterday afternoon and waiting. Nothing.
And of course the sorting offices close well before then. Tried to ring - " we're very busy, 40 minutes wait".

I look forward to the Czech billionaire buying them. He obviously knows how to run a business. As they are, RM need shut down.

Good old Royal Mail. Queen due to arrive by 1pm GUARANTEED overnight post. Nuc made up yesterday afternoon and waiting. Nothing.
And of course the sorting offices close well before then. Tried to ring - " we're very busy, 40 minutes wait".

I look forward to the Czech billionaire buying them. He obviously knows how to run a business. As they are, RM need shut down.
I dunno, I’m always pretty amazed by the volume, accuracy and speediness of Royal Mail deliveries. I think we’ve got it pretty good to be honest. I was in Ecuador not too long ago and their entire postal system had collapsed. It was impossible to send mail at all…I was told if I wanted to send a postcard it would have to go by DHL 😂. Plus you are in the highlands…

The lesson here is make the nuc up with the queen in your pocket.

We are " enjoying" heatwave, in shade temp is 35C.. Also sky is filled with " Sahara sand" allegedly.. They are announcing some storms in a few days.. Bees in the morning are mostly on honeydew, linden is vaporized by temps.. These days I was preoccupied with hazels, bees I didn't touch.. Have to inspect after this bulls..t weather what is situation, to extract or not and to make at least 1 batch of queens.. Reducing of colony is also my goal cause there is no money in honey.. false honey and EU mafia destroyed us completely..

Queen due to arrive by 1pm GUARANTEED overnight post. Nuc made up yesterday afternoon
never make up a nuc until you have the queen - keeping them queenless overnight is reducing the odds of acceptance substantially.
I look forward to the Czech billionaire buying them.

and he's already said the first thing he'll do is reduce delivery services, and you can guess who will be the first for the chop

never make up a nuc until you have the queen - keeping them queenless overnight is reducing the odds of acceptance substantially.

and he's already said the first thing he'll do is reduce delivery services, and you can guess who will be the first for the chop
Probably quicker and cheaper for the queens to be fitted with micro sat nav fitted and released to fly and find their own way to their apiary.

A slightly different swarm collection this yesterday evening, I was contacted around 19:00 by a farmer who had a swarm fall down his chimney and into his living room.

I presume despite the 3 clusters around the window that this is just a single swarm not seeveral castes, I imagine the queen when trying to escape left pheromones on the window that attracted the swarm to settle in different places around the window.

Well worth the visit as it turns out not only for this swarm but the farmer has some spring sown field beans I can move my bees too in the coming weeks too 😀

Having expected an enjoyable evening watering the plants in my garden this swarm certainly demonstrated that they have a few “defensive” bees. This colony definitely won’t be relocated to the allotment, it can go to the farm and earn its keep there.

View attachment 40407View attachment 40408View attachment 40409
🤯 bee-smillie

View attachment 40407View attachment 40408View attachment 40409
When a swarm first pitches I've often seen big clumps of bees on eg neighbouring branches. Given an hour or two the clumps without the queen join the main collection.

When a swarm first pitches I've often seen big clumps of bees on eg neighbouring branches. Given an hour or two the clumps without the queen join the main collection.
A game of “we’ve got the queen”, “no, we’ve got the queen”…….”oh all right then, coming over”.

I did a regular check and added some supers to several hives. Here in Michigan we have clovers and basswood trees in full bloom.

I am a little worried about honey production this year. Only one hive is actively drawing comb and storing honey in the supers. 5 of my other hives have large populations and lots of brood (15+ deep frames), however, they are just packing honey into the deep brood boxes and are not moving up into the available supers.

Is this a common situation? I never really had trouble with this before.

I only produce comb honey, therefore, all of my frames must be freshly drawn from the 100% beeswax foundation. Some of my friends put the "comb honey" supers in between the brood boxes to get a quick start on drawing comb. Has anyone had any experience with that method?

they are just packing honey into the deep brood boxes and are not moving up into the available supers.

Is this a common situation? I never really had trouble with this before.
It doesn't happen to me any more as I don't use (the area of) two brood boxes or have an unlimited brood nest, but yes, it happened to me regularly here, particularly on a light urban flow. What size langstroth are you using?

It doesn't happen to me any more as I don't use (the area of) two brood boxes or have an unlimited brood nest, but yes, it happened to me regularly here, particularly on a light urban flow. What size langstroth are you using?
I am using the regular 10 frame langstroth boxes. For the comb I am using medium supers (6-5/8" tall).

So, I take it that this would be more likely to occur during a light flow than with a strong nectar flow. Is that correct?

I am using the regular 10 frame langstroth boxes. For the comb I am using medium supers (6-5/8" tall).

So, I take it that this would be more likely to occur during a light flow than with a strong nectar flow. Is that correct?
When it comes to comb honey, you need a good nectar flow.

Yes, I'd say so. It sounds like the bees are putting the honey in the top brood box. I suspect that your one very good hive probably has an excellent number of bees in it (perhaps more than the others), and they are of the right age too. It may have got through a larger number of brood cycles in time to capture the flow better. You're in Southern Michigan obviously, but Gaylord, a fair way north of you, has been very wet. Have you noticed anything in particular about the weather in Southern Michigan that might have caused an issue? I see you're up over 90 degrees and then nicely in the 80's after that, so it's a good temperature at the moment at least.

Northern Michigan
https://www.weather.gov/media/apx/climate/2024SpringClimateSummary.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back