What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't take any antihistamine for minor stings.
Ok maybe not a minor sting as such but maybe a sting which was a lesser reaction.
Say a sting on the finger causing swelling halfway up the forearm for a day, compared to a finger sting causing swelling to the shoulder for three days.

Ok maybe not a minor sting as such but maybe a sting which was a lesser reaction.
Say a sting on the finger causing swelling halfway up the forearm for a day, compared to a finger sting causing swelling to the shoulder for three days.
Only for coughing and wheezing

from my armchair i set about printing this year's hive record sheets for my folder

realised i inspected first on 10th april last year and a fair number needed more space

will watch weather over next few weeks!
Spooky, did the same today and I was inspecting on the 3rd April.
If I took piriton before going to the bees they would never get inspected because I would be asleep!
There are "non-drowsy" antihistamines which are less likely to sedated you.
I always take a cetirizine before I go see the bees as a precaution. Plus I keep spare ones in the bee box.

I assume the aspirin was taken as an anti-inflamatory?

Is there any significant risk with taking it in small, irregular doses? My understanding is that paracetamol is ok as long as you don't exceed the liver's ability to metabolise it (though it may have other issues), but I have no idea whether the same applies to aspirin.

James
This was a one of in spring time, that allegedly cooled the body response for that year

I assume the aspirin was taken as an anti-inflamatory?

Is there any significant risk with taking it in small, irregular doses? My understanding is that paracetamol is ok as long as you don't exceed the liver's ability to metabolise it (though it may have other issues), but I have no idea whether the same applies to aspirin.

James

Last edited:
Forecast for 18°C a couple of days next week with overnight temps well into double figures. Based on current activity levels, next week I think I'll be going in.
Spoke too soon... Forecast temperatures have been revised down for both day and night!

Took the rare warm sunny afternoon opportunity to check stores on the farm apiary yesterday. Only one needed some fondant, it was a 'last August new queen nuc', but made up in a full size box well dummied down with insulated dummies so they didn't really have enough time to accumulated lots of stores and draw wax last year up here. Nevertheless, they are doing well enough even though its still a small colony. Fingers crossed.

Spoke too soon... Forecast temperatures have been revised down for both day and night!
Just as well I scanned the rest of the thread before replying above. I didn't think there could be such a difference between our areas!

Well I have been in my main apiary (20 deg in the sun) checking the 15 x 5 frames nucs I have there.
All but one needed some fondant and 2 of them had 4 frames of brood. They are going to need a full box as soon as a flow starts.

I worked with one of the Professors that was a researcher on the first IVF treatment. He takes half an aspirin a day. Claims that the research on its ability to stop strokes and heat attacks is overwhelming

I worked with one of the Professors that was a researcher on the first IVF treatment. He takes half an aspirin a day. Claims that the research on its ability to stop strokes and heat attacks is overwhelming
OK for him and I guess he's aware that daily use of aspirin can have serious side effects, including gastrointestinal bleeding.

OK for him and I guess he's aware that daily use of aspirin can have serious side effects, including gastrointestinal bleeding.

I was about to suggest that people who take aspirin daily don't suffer as many heart attacks or strokes because the aspirin kills them first :D

James

Latest posts

Back