What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There not quite all heather honey there is ivy and fondant mixed in I should of been clearer some are only 9 frames reduced .
The colony’s I’ve left supers I’ve removed second supers of heather from they need the supers.

£20 a lb for pure heather honey
To date my colony’s have been ok wintering with heather mixed stores.
Looking good there.

Based on curleys £20 p/lb I assume (rather than your local £7.50 retail) so approx 30lb per super?
optimistically, yes
My supers come in less quite often. Sometimes more
Cut into comb I can get £300 for a super, selling whole frames quite a bit more...though I don'r sell many
If Curly has all his hygiene certificates and inspections etc etc then he could approach the local posh hotels and he could get £20 per lb without extracting his honey

Last edited:
Checked my hives yesterday never known a year when the hives are so full of bees , Still taking down invert and bringing in ivy pollen.First sign of one or two wasps around the hives this year but they seem to be very small.

This morning temp was 18C.. Little to say crazy, it is completely nuts.. A lot of green, like it is just start of autumn.. Some fruit trees flower, some grow new leaves, still aphids on the trees.. Weirdo.. Bees active but calm..
One colony I had fail with added qcell and LW started, and after giving 1+1 open brood frame, I added Q in cage ( it was Q which was for replacing anyway) but didn't smoke much, after some 2-3 days I came and they release the Q but chase her unfriendly.. Knowingly that she will be KO, I came when had more time in few days and after confirming they are Qless I took both boxes and flip aside and smoke them SOOO bad that in a moment I thought they forgot they are even bees.. later I returned the configuration and put promising Q in a cage.. Later other jobs with date to be done yesterday pushed me from checking how it has gone.. Today since I accidentaly grabbed some time for bees I peeped, q is in and on 3 frames palm size brood ( on one started to seal wb). As I become older i think I am meaner and making some own shortcuts, for now got results..
But hey, since they are replacing our real honey with mumbo jumbo in shops and pressing us to sell our honey for the price of that mumbo jumbo.. who cares if lose colony or two..
So far I am not letting them to force me to sell honey for misery, somehow looked surprised how I dare to decline.. Well, it seems after polite period, will come period when they all will have to consult with my new sale manager Biggus Dickus and to nicely bugger off..

Nothing at the apiary : bee farmer's meeting with a special guest speaker - some cove called Michael Palmer.
Was lucky to be sat next to each other during lunch so had a nice long chat and, as we were all staying at the same hotel, a pleasant evening eating pudding, drinking Guinness, talking bees (Wales, USA and Africa) both Mellifera and Mellipona and generally chatting with the Palmers and the Walrus

Latest posts

Back