What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bees had cleaned out the wet supers, so they came off. Put Apiguard on and added some old full frames of stores into BB . A really odd year. Very poor crop as they had eaten a lot from the supers, yet, despite queen supposedly slowing down, they are absolutely jam packed with bees. The double broods are overflowing with bees. Never have my colonies been so strong at this time of year.

Wow!!!! Have you ever seen anything like that before?
often - every year really, as long as there's a super on with a reasonable amount of stores in.
You also, if you catch them at the right time witness the 'apartheid' phase when the drones all get herded off to the extreme outside (empty) frames and are kept well away from the brood area and where there are any stores

often - every year really, as long as there's a super on with a reasonable amount of stores in.
You also, if you catch them at the right time witness the 'apartheid' phase when the drones all get herded off to the extreme outside (empty) frames and are kept well away from the brood area and where there are any stores
Seen this happen to over the last few years ,
One of the down falls with using a demaree without a second entrance .

Welld
My first honey harvest! Well chuffed with my girls. I’ve kept just under half to feed back as I feel I’ve cheated them by putting on a super each when they were still building up the brood (it was too cold to fully inspect in April so I erred on the side of caution and gave them space so they went upward not outward and actually had a lot of space in the brood box).

I’ve also had a go at a solar wax melter - not going to post pics of that unless it works 🤣🤣

I also had a visit from the new (Isle of Man) Government bee inspector last week and it was great having someone else look at my hives and conclude all was well.

Happy days.View attachment 37515
Well done you! The first is always the best 😍

Added a dummied brood box to a 2021 farm queen, the bees have been on the front of the hive since the supers came off. I had a quick look inside and she is laying at a rate but lots of nectar in the brood area, they needed space.
Checked a few more nests, BIAS in all and plentiful, fresh pollen. Drilled a hole in four Maisemore deep poly nuc roofs, they work a treat with the intstantvap.

The bees had cleaned out the wet supers, so they came off. Put Apiguard on and added some old full frames of stores into BB . A really odd year. Very poor crop as they had eaten a lot from the supers, yet, despite queen supposedly slowing down, they are absolutely jam packed with bees. The double broods are overflowing with bees. Never have my colonies been so strong at this time of year.
It’s the same with mine, quite strange.

Located the source of rain water seepage in the bee shed and replaced wet rotted timber with new. Working outside on a hot, dry day with more to follow was such a treat, given the dreadful Summer we have had. I was ignored by the bees, busy with the IVY FLOWrugby2

Over here time to additionally cut/prevent reinvasion. Since is noticed in September is increasing reinvasion ( I believe more connected with dearth of forage and robbing). Anyway, not going into reasons I will kick varroa once more for peace of mind till OA in December.. Especially cause we have unusually very strong colonies for this time of year ( lot of brood - lot of varroa)..

Added a dummied brood box to a 2021 farm queen, the bees have been on the front of the hive since the supers came off. I had a quick look inside and she is laying at a rate but lots of nectar in the brood area, they needed space.
Checked a few more nests, BIAS in all and plentiful, fresh pollen. Drilled a hole in four Maisemore deep poly nuc roofs, they work a treat with the intstantvap.
Checked yesterday and the foundation has all been drawn and filled with nectar :)
Not the best day for gas mask and goggles.

Are they making room for bees to fan nectar do you think?
I've never seen broods so heavy with bees at this time of year
I’m assuming so as it happened with mine after a feed. I reacted to broods with no stores, now they seem to be filling fast!
The hives are noisy at dusk, like mid (normal) Summer.

Back