What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good day today. The bees were very busy. Lots of pollen being brought in. Didn’t need anymore fondant. Sat in the sun watching them :).
Cleaned up the other hive following the demise of the colony a few weeks ago. Scorched and washed the boxes. Saved some of the frames and wax, others need replacing.

MIne were flying until about 4pm today .. I was washing the outside of the greenhouse (forms one side of the apiary) and they were just flying past me - not interested. Loads of pollen coming in but the temperature dropped quite suddenly at about 4pm and they all decided they'd done enough. I had a look through all the clear crownboards and hefted - still plenty of weight in all of them so no fondant needed yet. I have a super with 100mm of celotex on the top of each crownboard and the heat to touch on the crownboard when it had got decidedly chilly outside was very reassuring. I could see capped stores in the top of most frames so not a lot to worry about there. I've had the inspection boards in for a week now .. plenty of uncapping debris - very little sign of varroa, a few shells here and there but nothing i'm going to get excited about yet. Got the feeling that the season is almost underway on the Costa del Fareham ... I just love that first hint that winter has almost gone and we are heading into spring. Loads of crocus, snowdrops and hellibores out in the local gardens and the bees making the most of them I reckon.

Is it going to be a good year ?

Of course it is!
Positive Vibes ... Positive vibes ... keep them coming. There are buds on my cherry tree ... rather early, I just hope we don't get a frost - not that I ever get any any cherries the blasted wood pigeons see to that !

Measuring up and making plans for a new mating area, stands to go up shortly. Bees still busy bringing in pollen, so hypnotic watching the entrances. Landowner has loads of ply and will cut it into smaller sections so I can get it home and start on various boards, clearer, demarree, crown etc. Half a dozen new roofs and this year's hardware should hopefully be sorted.

My neighbour had been power washing his front drive earlier and after most of the water had evaporated, quite a few bees were on the ground gathering water. Was quite funny watching him and his wife tip toeing around trying not to step on them. Good bee friendly neighbours 😃👍

My neighbour had been power washing his front drive earlier and after most of the water had evaporated, quite a few bees were on the ground gathering water. Was quite funny watching him and his wife tip toeing around trying not to step on them. Good bee friendly neighbours 😃👍
At this time of year my bees seem to be drawn to my neighbour's patio to drink the dog urine - lovely. Apparently it tastes much better than the pond water, bee bath water or water butts in my garden. Unfortunately my neighbours aren't quite as keen on my bees as their dogs, which still haven't learnt not to try eating them, and keep generating vets' bills for bee stung snouts.

Well, if I were you I wouldn't use thymol, seeing you pile on the supers in April
SWN 58 doesn't put his supers on at that time, so your statement about 'good practice' is totally erroneous
As public forum advising beekeepers on good practice then it should be paramount to follow manufacturers instructions on how to apply VMD approved treatments. Thus
Apilife VAR or thymol treatments should only be made in autumn after the honey harvest. If thymol is used during a honey flow, there is considerable danger that thymol residue will reach levels above the taste threshold. In addition, the optimum appropriate temperature for administration is between 20-25°C! Well, we are no where near that now. Nothing against SWN58, but why waste his money. If he does not sell his honey fair enough, but I guess he could still be inspected.

Checked my hives are taking the homemade patties and they're loving them. I'm glad I made a few extra as I might need to put them on next week to the bigger hives. All hives very busy.

I checked the fondant on a small hive that I had reduced down with a lump of cellotex.
Have a glass crownboard and the fondant on top of it. Bees were busy and bringing in lots of pollen.
Making good use of a christmas jumper to keep them warm.

On Saturday.. strong cold northern wind hit hard.. Bees stayed in the hives. Was whole day at the open, in the evening my face was like slapped.. Yesterday, no wind or little breeze and bees out and on willows and cornel.. Opened first buds of plums, apricots and even some pears.. This morning of course heavy FROST.. ( one of many to come up till middle of May). It is turning into another worrisome season.. The plants can't cope with such play of climate changes.. It is lottery what fruits we will harvest this season..

Glorious day, watched the bees for ages bringing in pollen. Checked varroa board after vaping, one on each board. Very high numbers in autumn before using Apiguard, huge relief

Actually there is some evidence that if you swap red meat for squirrel meat you can get a brain disease - it’s been found in various isolated farmsteads in redneck areas who eat squirrels...!

The meat wasn't the ;problem . The 11 people found with a form of CJD in Kentucky had been cooking and eating squirrel brains (containing the prions associated with CJD)

Positive Vibes ... Positive vibes ... keep them coming. There are buds on my cherry tree ... rather early, I just hope we don't get a frost - not that I ever get any any cherries the blasted wood pigeons see to that !
Have a word with Beeno about the pigeons....😃

there is some evidence that if you swap red meat for squirrel meat you can get a brain disease - it’s been found in various isolated farmsteads in redneck areas who eat squirrels...!
Nothing to do with their propensity to sleep with their own sisters?

Actually there is some evidence that if you swap red meat for squirrel meat you can get a brain disease - it’s been found in various isolated farmsteads in redneck areas who eat squirrels...!

The meat wasn't the ;problem . The 11 people found with a form of CJD in Kentucky had been cooking and eating squirrel brains (containing the prions associated with CJD)
In that part of Kentucky I'm surprised anyone noticed the difference....

Have a word with Beeno about the pigeons....😃
'Er indoors forbids pot shots at the fattest wood pigeons in Hampshire ... although they are so fat they are sitting ducks and once they start ripping the cherries off as soon as they even tinge red .... I get very twitchy trigger finger ....

I am aiming for 10(ish). Might get there this year might be next. So I am trying to plan equipment based on having 10 hives - so for example I am not buying a manual 4 frame extractor I am going for a larger electric one.
I bought a 6 frame manual to start with and all very exciting. Two years later and cranking the handle becomes a bit of a bore. Grandchildren no use. 30 seconds and they're gone. So I mounted an electric drill on top and now it spins frames dry in ten minutes. 6 frame radials are better than 10. In a 6 frame you can spin 2,3,4, or 6 frames at a time. With a 10 frame you can only spin 2,4,5 or 10 otherwise they don't balance.

Back