What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fifth and final vape this evening, I ain't doing any more so I hope its enough.

Released three of Ged Marshalls queens from their introduction cages. Checked a nuc that I hadn't checked since mid August as it didn't appear as active as others; found a new queen so marked her, her abdomen did appear longer and thinner so I think she may have mated(?) already which given the weather this week there was every chance, the nuc still had a few drones knocking around as well. Gave them a light simulative feed after vaping.

Lots of ivy pollen coming in today as well.

Clearer boards on all the hives ... some supers were so heavy I could barely lift them - some very fat combs in there.

It was after 4.30pm by the time I started ... breezy but not cold ... I was expecting the worst. Pleasantly suprised, hardly bees any came out to greet me and what few did were just curious about what was going on. had the smoker going just in case... never even picked it up. There were a couple of wasps buzzing around but there does not seem to be any going near the hive entrances.

So I should be able to test the 'new' extractor tomorrow all being well ... I've warned 'er indoors that the carnage is due and weathered the frosty stare ... with any luck I will make no mess and will remove the last sticky speck of honey in some obscure location that only the eagle touch of 'er indoors would ever find.

The casters are on the extractor - couple of adjustments to make - the only worry I have is whether I can get it through the back door and into the kitchen ... watch this space !

After the saga of having to take the new wheels and one leg off the extactor to get it through the kitchen door .. in fact ... I could not get it through the back door and through thr utiliity room.... I had to take it round to the front door and in to the kitchen via the hall ... Got it into the kitchen and all set to go .. and I could not find my uncapping fork. I knew where I left it when I painted the utility room a few months ago.. it was in the corner of the work surface under the central heating boiler behind the box of last years conkers drying out ready for a game when we finally get to see our grandson again.

I searched all the kitchen drawers, my preserving and jam making cupboard, the boxes of bee stuff in the garage, in the workshop, I looked in the empty hives (God knows I would not have put it there) - nowhere to be found. and all the other beekeeping hidy holes ... Nowhere.

Anyway, I fell short of accusing 'er indoors of relocating the said uncapping fork which is just as well as she came to help me find it and she found it exactly where I left it ...

Anyway .. extraction went almost to plan ... you forget from one year to the next how long it takes to uncap frames ....and despite an electric extractor that takes 15 frames .. I didn't get finished ... I didn't even get half way through and with the extractor and all the extracting paraphenalia scattered round the kitchen and the HUGE extractor sitting there blocking access to her cupboards of cleaning stuff I'm not exactly flavour of the month ... not even cooking her a cheese omelette for her tea had any effect - my brownie point total is meganegative ...

On the plus side ... it's a good crop ... a mix of dark and light honey - nice taste - some very fat frames. One weighed in at over 2.8Kg ...

Attachments

• Frame 2020.jpg
    Frame 2020.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 37
  • Frame 2020 wieght.jpg
    Frame 2020 wieght.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Extractir in use 1.jpg
    Extractir in use 1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 31
I'd swap .. we are trying to relocate to somewhere near Frome .. we can't get near to the town because all the DFL's have pushed the prices up to ridiculous levels ...

DFL's - Down from Londoners ...

We get the DFLs here as well. We also call them FILTH.

Failed in London, Try Hasings

Found some very bright ...almost fluorescent nectar coming in at an apiary site today. Not sure what it is.IMG_20200920_151641347.jpgIMG_20200920_150649089.jpg

Last edited:
Bees mad busy this morning, I shouldn’t have stood in front to take this though.

After the saga of having to take the new wheels and one leg off the extactor to get it through the kitchen door .. in fact ... I could not get it through the back door and through thr utiliity room.... I had to take it round to the front door and in to the kitchen via the hall ... Got it into the kitchen and all set to go .. and I could not find my uncapping fork. I knew where I left it when I painted the utility room a few months ago.. it was in the corner of the work surface under the central heating boiler behind the box of last years conkers drying out ready for a game when we finally get to see our grandson again.

I searched all the kitchen drawers, my preserving and jam making cupboard, the boxes of bee stuff in the garage, in the workshop, I looked in the empty hives (God knows I would not have put it there) - nowhere to be found. and all the other beekeeping hidy holes ... Nowhere.

Anyway, I fell short of accusing 'er indoors of relocating the said uncapping fork which is just as well as she came to help me find it and she found it exactly where I left it ...

Anyway .. extraction went almost to plan ... you forget from one year to the next how long it takes to uncap frames ....and despite an electric extractor that takes 15 frames .. I didn't get finished ... I didn't even get half way through and with the extractor and all the extracting paraphenalia scattered round the kitchen and the HUGE extractor sitting there blocking access to her cupboards of cleaning stuff I'm not exactly flavour of the month ... not even cooking her a cheese omelette for her tea had any effect - my brownie point total is meganegative ...

On the plus side ... it's a good crop ... a mix of dark and light honey - nice taste - some very fat frames. One weighed in at over 2.8Kg ...
Well done👍
SWMBO Finding the fork where you left it, after searching made me smile😀

No... we don't have factories like that here...and it's mainly native forest where they are so it's natural.

Three possible culprits come to mind. Golden Pea, Dogwood and Cheesewood. Photos in that order.IMG_20200920_123437.jpg IMG_20200920_121834.jpgIMG_20200920_125723.jpg

Well done👍
SWMBO Finding the fork where you left it, after searching made me smile😀
I think she had tidied it away somewhere that I didn't look and then 'found' it where I left it ... I was searching the undergrowth in the garage when she 'found' it.... no witnesses ? I really did look very hard for it where I left it and I can't believe I didn't see it.... but ... I'm not going to argue about it - not with an extractor stuck in the kitchen and still half my frames to spin out ... :)

Little drips fell on the cells and you can see it has a greenish tinge under certain light refractions....IMG_20200920_150932215.jpg

Oh my ... I thought my grass was long ... mind you - that's a nice big boy's toy Stan has got to play with !
The two fields get topped just once a year; lots of wildflowers. We try to wait till the Goldfinches have finished on the knapweed. The Apiary is cut quite short because we have thousands of crocuses planted there.

Lazy Sunday morning out in the garden, browsing the forum, my good friend next to me 👍

Attachments

• 96FD3E86-4028-491B-90D4-6E63F0AA6D7F.jpeg
    96FD3E86-4028-491B-90D4-6E63F0AA6D7F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • C1C8CD3A-A2CC-41C0-B89B-2CEDC241B72D.jpeg
    C1C8CD3A-A2CC-41C0-B89B-2CEDC241B72D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • F0AA0577-787E-451D-9D8E-489BE007092D.jpeg
    F0AA0577-787E-451D-9D8E-489BE007092D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
Misha (after Russian bear cartoon figure). 5 y/o. Also loves joining me at the apiary.
It's difficult to find a more humanised dog than a Labrador ... we've had three - all yellow ones ... personalities the size of Everest. We miss the last one a lot still.

He was nearly 15 and survived cancer for 18 months after the Vet wrote him off .. kept going right to the end.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1743.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1743.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail_IMG_0464.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0464.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 4
If we are posting pictures of our best friends, then here is Heidi, my year old mini schnauzer. She has kept me sane through lockdown. It’s just a shame that the bees don’t like her! They get caught in her whiskers.

Attachments

• 8C2ADA1F-8317-4C0F-B18E-2CB70FC3DFB4.jpeg
    8C2ADA1F-8317-4C0F-B18E-2CB70FC3DFB4.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back