What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re right there, any houses with good size plots are selling really quickly at stupid prices to folks from the smoke. It’s covid that’s doing it, city life is no longer in vogue.

Forgot to quote your last post Phil...

I'd swap .. we are trying to relocate to somewhere near Frome .. we can't get near to the town because all the DFL's have pushed the prices up to ridiculous levels ...

DFL's - Down from Londoners ...
It’s a lovely part of the country. I work in a small community garden near Frome. There’s a good range of forage for the bees, a mix of gardens, established hedgerows, woodland and arable.

You’re right there, any houses with good size plots are selling really quickly at stupid prices to folks from the smoke. It’s covid that’s doing it, city life is no longer in vogue.

Forgot to quote your last post Phil...

We saw a derelict barn on a quarter acre with planning permission to convert ... £400k ~ unbelievable - it was only listed for a couple of hours and then the listing disappeared - presumably sold. A few years ago they would have been lucky to get £50k...

It’s a lovely part of the country. I work in a small community garden near Frome. There’s a good range of forage for the bees, a mix of gardens, established hedgerows, woodland and arable.

Our daughter and grandchildren live there .. it's a lovely town and the surrounding area is lovely as well but property prices have leapt up .... and there's not that much available either.

Our daughter and grandchildren live there .. it's a lovely town and the surrounding area is lovely as well but property prices have leapt up .... and there's not that much available either.
There was something going in Mells. Is that too far out?

I'd swap .. we are trying to relocate to somewhere near Frome .. we can't get near to the town because all the DFL's have pushed the prices up to ridiculous levels ...

DFL's - Down from Londoners ...
It's not the up from Farehamers that are causing the hike in prices then Phil? 😱😀

It's not the up from Farehamers that are causing the hike in prices then Phil? 😱😀
Unlikely ... They had a competition a few years ago to come up with a town motto ... someone suggested 'Gosport without the shell suits' - very appropriate !

We saw a derelict barn on a quarter acre with planning permission to convert ... £400k ~ unbelievable - it was only listed for a couple of hours and then the listing disappeared - presumably sold. A few years ago they would have been lucky to get £50k...
Wow!
We’ve noticed the top end of the market just take off since lockdown, properties that just didn’t sell, suddenly selling. These are properties with land often in excess of a million. But London values of a two bedroom townhouse seemingly is enough! Folks who have found they can work from home are moving out for a better quality of life - and who can blame them?

You clearly don't know my daughter .... she make's 'er indoors look like pushover ... scares me witless ...
But think of the wonderful quality of life you would have here. A decent house with a bit of land and money to spare. Maybe you could convince her if she got her hands on some of her inheritance now? I find children are eminently bribable with hard cash. Or maybe I just know the wrong children😂

But think of the wonderful quality of life you would have here. A decent house with a bit of land and money to spare. Maybe you could convince her if she got her hands on some of her inheritance now? I find children are eminently bribable with hard cash. Or maybe I just know the wrong children😂
All three have had their inheritance already by my reckoning (several times over if you count their educations !) ....I think she's pretty entrenched in Frome - our SIL has a good job at a school within walking distance of where they live and the grandchildren have good local schools, she doesn't have to work, has a nice house in a nice area 10 minutes from Longleat and they have a cheap annual pass - it's a tough nut to crack. We really want to spend the rest of the time we have watching the grandchildren grow up so ... limited options.

Wow!
We’ve noticed the top end of the market just take off since lockdown, properties that just didn’t sell, suddenly selling. These are properties with land often in excess of a million. But London values of a two bedroom townhouse seemingly is enough! Folks who have found they can work from home are moving out for a better quality of life - and who can blame them?
Yes ... that's rhe reality .. from Frome there are good rail links to London - just over an hour and a half with a change at Westbury. You are right - where people are now working from home in London they can afford to commute a day or two a week or less - and live in the country. It's not just the top end of the market - the value in a docklands flat will get you a good four bed detached on a nice estate on the edge of Frome with money to spare. You can understand that someone with a young family would want the best of both worlds. It's dragging the price of all property up in the area and it's become a real hotspot. If you look at the Doret/Somerset /Wiltshire borders, or North Somerset where there is less commutability .. the prices are far more sensible.

Fed couple nucs. Feeding is almost done now. Finished modifying more poly crown boards to 6mm polycarbonate.

Attachments

• E7D8EF74-BBAD-4F55-B799-61D3086D00E3.jpeg
    E7D8EF74-BBAD-4F55-B799-61D3086D00E3.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
  • B676D0D8-7168-42DD-82A9-9EE3521664AD.jpeg
    B676D0D8-7168-42DD-82A9-9EE3521664AD.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 460BFCAA-521F-491E-AE98-B24F85EFD7D9.jpeg
    460BFCAA-521F-491E-AE98-B24F85EFD7D9.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • 2ED6FF61-4D04-49E8-B29A-F0CB282B5E33.jpeg
    2ED6FF61-4D04-49E8-B29A-F0CB282B5E33.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
Never mind the family. Come to Wales :)
I know a few abandoned hovels on family land I can broker a deal for Phil.
Although I have a feeling we should reinstate the tolls on the Severn bridges :D

WOW.....
checked all my hives today thinking after last weeks check that I would be feeding some of them.... Well all have had a great week with frames and frames full of stores. 1 double brood hive has 1 full brood of stores and the other brood box wall to wall BIAS. The hives are bigger than they were in the middle of summer. No feeding this week as some of the single boxes I may need to remove full frames to make room for the queens to lay.

No drones have been evicted yet by the looks of it either.....

Latest posts

Back