What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today finally got that photo of bee on willow I have been after for the last week or so
Cracking Picture..i trudged through a swamp today to the willows expecting to get some nice pictures..i ended up clarted to death in mud and the willow is not even ready..:hairpull:

At an apiary today, inspected several colonies of black bees. Very sunny and bees making the most of it, Willow pollen and nectar- a- plenty and the smell.....Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. :)
Very reminiscent of Ambre Solaire, for a moment I was in the dunes at Llangenith back in 1976.
.....Meanwhile, back at the apiary, observations were much of the winter stores not touched and all hives well stocked with pollen. A few queens marked.
One hive in particular...
I've had colonies who would propolise side bars to the hive wall but this one had effectively sealed the bottom of the combs with a sheet of propolis, each frame stuck to the next. Possibly suggesting they'd prefer a solid floor? A handful of propolis off the bottom bars.
Apart from anything else, during these terrible times, it was just so wonderful to be among these beautiful creatures again, the hive smell, listening to birds sing and drifting off on a reverie.

45˚F today. Spent the day in 4 of my apiaries. Nice clusters and still plenty of feed. First pollen of the season. Four colours. a white I don't know. A gray/brown with white speckles that is Populous tremuloides. A pale yellow that is most likely silver maple. And, a dark brown...I don't have a clue. Maybe manure from the dairy. Seems like an early spring...our first pollen was April 20 last year. I'll keep my mouth shut...don't jinx it Mike.

At an apiary today, inspected several colonies of black bees. Very sunny and bees making the most of it, Willow pollen and nectar- a- plenty and the smell.....Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. :)
Very reminiscent of Ambre Solaire, for a moment I was in the dunes at Llangenith back in 1976.
.....Meanwhile, back at the apiary, observations were much of the winter stores not touched and all hives well stocked with pollen. A few queens marked.
One hive in particular...
I've had colonies who would propolise side bars to the hive wall but this one had effectively sealed the bottom of the combs with a sheet of propolis, each frame stuck to the next. Possibly suggesting they'd prefer a solid floor? A handful of propolis off the bottom bars.
Apart from anything else, during these terrible times, it was just so wonderful to be among these beautiful creatures again, the hive smell, listening to birds sing and drifting off on a reverie.

Lovely post Steve, mostly the same for me yesterday Nectar and pollen willow mainly coming in it almost looked like a flow starting..
Yesterday eve all hives were humming even more so the polys in fact the polys have been humming for three days now.
Im yet to inspect any colonys I've been getting prepped Today will be the day!
Me and the 6 and 5 year old will be doing inspections can't wait.

Started getting my bait hives ready to go out today,If the fine weather continues it won't be long now before they may see some use.

Found the unmarked queen in drone laying colony. May she RIP. Shook rest of bees off frames and within 30 minutes all but a handful had rehoused themselves.
Checked out a queenless colony to find a very small queen, probably a virgin. Marked her and will give her a chance to start laying. I have had some quite fecund very small queens in the past...but she is well overdue....At least I don't have to worry about the rest becoming laying workers meantime.

First inspection done well not all but 4 done.
My amms nuc is bursting with bee's hardly any capped brood but five/ six frames of eggs lots of pollen and honey roung the outside of frames the next good day they're getting transferred to a brood box.

Pink hive also amms lots and lots of winter stores and fresh nectar/pollen, I've removed two frames of stores and bruised the inside of frames either side of the nest that is currently on 6/7 seems.
There was eggs present but not a lot hopefully I've aided the situation.
That will do for now sorry busy little bee looking after my own brood.

pleasant afternoon (albeit bleedin cold) inserting wax foundation into brood frames.
Completed the first ever Brynmair totally contactless transaction. ready to bottle bulk sale of honey ordered and has been sat in the warming cabinet, phone call this afternoon,cash transferred to my account this evening, two buckets of honey now sat in a safe space to be collected some time early tomorrow morning whilst I will still be abed :D

You should get yourself a card reader. Izettle are very reasonable.
Yesterday I had a couple of exercisers who needed honey, they really appreciated the contactless payment.
Bloody cold uup here as well, sleet this morning...

Washed the office curtains as it is cold, windy.. and April long range is showing more of the same!

Nothing in the apiary; too cold and windy.
In the kitchen I have 40 jars of soft set just starting to ferment. Odd. Identical honey in a bucket is ok. I’m melting it down. Bagging it in vacuum bags for convenience and putting it in the freezer. It tastes ok in my porridge so I’ll eat it in time.

Successfully managed to remove the bottom (ideal) box from 3 hives to condense them to 4 ideals, and inspected 1 other. Days are shortening here in the Southern Hemisphere, and generally a little cooler, but no frost yet.
Found 1 colony with lots of Braula but couldn't find the queen, so hope she is ok. Pleased with the temperament of the November 2019 Italian queens and none show any chalkbrood. All my hives (should) have plenty of honey stores for winter and early spring.

No, there's no Spring Shows, I was going to spend my afternoon ont t'Internet buying frames etc. I was going to order frames from Thornes but the sales page has disappeared. Did I miss my slot?

Blowing a gale and cold here. Been out to green house as its sunny to open up the door slightly and to my surprise bees on the chicken drinker I put out for them out the wind. Think there aiming for the hive entrance 10 metres to one side to get back in.

No, there's no Spring Shows, I was going to spend my afternoon ont t'Internet buying frames etc. I was going to order frames from Thornes but the sales page has disappeared. Did I miss my slot?

The sales stuff was meant to be collect at show (they save postage etc. I suspect they decided to honour all the preorders already lodged and send by post/courier and then close the offer down.
Maisies are still showing the sales items so may still be taking show special orders for postage

Last edited:
Thornes opened up their sales prices online to sll without the postage. My order comes tomorrow but they have refunded for some bits I ordered due to selling out. They were running this until 31st March, maybe they have pretty much sold out of the sale stuff.

Back