What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This was a reply to millet having population explosions, for some reason it didn’t quote him so looks like a reply to you. Apologies for the confusion, it looked rude.

Hope your season goes well from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just finished hiving the biggest swarm I've ever had the pleasure of collecting. Tried to get it into a six frame nuc but it wouldn't fit.

Happy days

This was a reply to millet having population explosions, for some reason it didn’t quote him so looks like a reply to you. Apologies for the confusion, it looked rude.

Hope your season goes well from here.

Well two QC with larvae no Q I'm a bit pissed and kicking my self . when we had that week of good weather I should of done a AS . I might of still had here and the start of another hive.. It can only get better.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

sounds awesome!

Thank's Colin, it does sound awesome but when you do not expect it it is far from awesome, i thought i would open up today, find the Queen's see if she is laying ok and close them back up.

Nope that was not the case and not what i am used too, from one extreme to the other springs to mind.. hopefully the ounce of common sense i possess works.

Did second hive inspection of this year, last one was Thur 26th April. Noticed a few capped queen cells and some with larvae.

So a long search endured, HM is marked but the paint had faded so it took me an absolute age to find her. Once I did I got her repainted with some nice yellow which is the first time I've marked a queen as well as an AS.

Did an artificial swarm, grabbed a frame from the old hive with no QC and placed in the 14x12 nuc along with 5 frames of foundation along with HM. Moved the old frame to the side and placed the nuc in its place.

Fed the nuc with a light sugar syrup.

Should I have removed all but one QC from the old hive or let nature run its course?

Last edited:
Should I have removed all but one QC from the old hive or let nature run its course?

Personally I select one QC which I can see has a nice fat well fed larvae in it, but others leave two.

There's always a chance that you could lose a cast swarm if the conditions are right if you leave all the QCs.

Came home to one of the hives swarming (poor weather last week prevented us having a look in). Anyway, the queen is 2 buy due to what looks like chewed wings (she's always had them) she couldn't fly.

So she was put in a new box in the original location tp stay with the returning bees. The original hive off to the side and left with one Q cell.

Oddly tho half the bees have basically bearded on the outside of the new box. Not sure if I should scoop them off and drop in the box or what to do now....

Other hive that was AS spilt the other week looking well and in a few weeks will be recombine.

Back from a business trip to London I'm curious to see what a week of acacia has done to my hive. The weather hasn't been the best, but they've had plenty of flying time.
I guess this will help me decide whether they're doing well or they need a new queen.

Since Monday its bank holiday in the U.K., and not here (and working for a London company I follow the uk holidays) I'll inspect tomorrow and report to my advisor at the LBS on Monday. Need to go to the local junk dealer as there seem to be some cheap trellises and it's on the way there.

When I opened the hive there was a distinct aroma of honey coming out, which wasn't as strong in the other visits, also a lot more activity at the entrance, so the colony has finally started getting properly busy.

The queen has started laying properly, only a patch in the center of each frame, call it a third of a frame, as the rest is occupied by stored, but it is spanning several frames, so there is a much larger amount of brood than last time.
I'm sure the bees will sort that out soon enough.

I found quite a few drone cells and spotted a few drones in the hive, so I set up the bait hive with two nest combs and four super combs. The old combs will attract the swarm and the super frames will allow the bees to draw wax under them, exhausting any contaminated honey they might have had on them.

Super is still untouched. A few bees in there, but no honey.
Many beeks here tend not to use QEs for the acacia flow, and then add it for following flows. Not sure how that works, but next year I'm going to try one hive with and one without and see if I spot any differences.

Inspected both colonies. Buckfast queen has started laying well after a quiet period, in the super left on over Winter. No interest in moving through the QX so removed it. Top frames stuck to brood box frames and larvae damaged as a result - drones. One empty queen cup. Queen found in the brood box looking very plump so not expecting them to swarm just yet.
Second hive is from a swarm captured last year - extremely active and brood box getting full. Foundation in super above QX added last week, getting drawn out and nectar being stored. Will need second brood box next week I reckon.
Cleaned up a bunch of brood frames for re-use. Noticed individual bees entering the bait hive - and a queen wasp! Just left wondering which will take up residence and if it's the bees, are they mine?
Grand daughter, suitably attired, watched the inspections as part of an infant school project and was really interested. Lots of questions and was really pleased she saw the queen!

Personally I select one QC which I can see has a nice fat well fed larvae in it, but others leave two.

There's always a chance that you could lose a cast swarm if the conditions are right if you leave all the QCs.

Might take a look then again and see if I cut cut out a cell and pop it in the apidea and leave the biggest.

Yesterday I dodged grumpy bees in the garden, as did the neighbours unfortunately.

On the assumption that they won't calm down I will be moving the grumpy colony on Wednesday as soon as I get a van sorted, and will requrened them. It's a pain that it's happened on the hottest bank holiday in a gazillion years, as I am pretty sure the neighbours will be getting a bit narked.

They were well behaved last year but must have got out of the wrong side of the bed in 2018.

Up at 4.30am . Moved a swarm collected last May from the garden due to the colony getting a little tetchy .
Today I am going through my other apiary with a complete beginner who wants a couple of colonies but has done no theory training apart from a little reading . Throw him in at the deep end 😄. Should be fun , and good to have another pair of hands as I want to change 7 floors too .

I was bopped repeatedly yesterday while mowing my neighbour's lawn. I eventually got a small sting on the arm. I'm sure they were my bees. It will only get worse as they increase the area they think is theirs. I need to either requeen the hive I think it is (Its now got 4 supers) or move the hive to another location. Any suggestions ?:nature-smiley-011:

Yesterday I dodged grumpy bees in the garden, as did the neighbours unfortunately.
I am pretty sure the neighbours will be getting a bit narked.

They were well behaved last year but must have got out of the wrong side of the bed in 2018.

Went to collect a swarm from a neighbour's stable. Turned out to be a single bumble bee between the panels of the stable walls, making a heck of a racket. I left her where she was.

Went to collect a swarm from a neighbour's stable. Turned out to be a single bumble bee between the panels of the stable walls, making a heck of a racket. I left her where she was.

And for that reason I've given up being a swarm collector.

I was bopped repeatedly yesterday while mowing my neighbour's lawn. I eventually got a small sting on the arm. I'm sure they were my bees. It will only get worse as they increase the area they think is theirs. I need to either requeen the hive I think it is (Its now got 4 supers) or move the hive to another location. Any suggestions ?:nature-smiley-011:
I noticed bees don't like that kind of work in front of their hives. Any movement there make them angry. Summer colonies are big and not so tolerant as in early spring. A few days ago I transported my apiary to the summer location. It is a wild territory, where they will be until October. I don't mow the grass there. It was already a bit difficult to work with the bees in the backyard.
P5220746.JPG

1st barrels of honey of this season .. stored..
I am " thrilled" :nopity: - in correlation: better to have something I can't sell ( for endurable price) than to have nothing to sell.. At least honey is lovely..

Seems this year I will share a lot of honey around..
Keep honey. The price is expected to grow. There is a drought here and the conditions seems not to improve. If we get less honey the European price will grow. In fact we don't have rains since snow melting in March. Today there is a little colder, 22°C. Last week there was unseasonable 30°C. Farmers are cultivating their fields in the clouds of dust.

Last edited:
I mow within 3 metres of my garden hives and never even get investigated. Go figure. It is all down to temperament. This is using a 4stroke petrol mower.

I mow within 3 metres of my garden hives and never even get investigated. Go figure. It is all down to temperament. This is using a 4stroke petrol mower.

Ditto but within 10cms of hive stands and strim round them as well with no problems.. (it is my acid test for temperament)

Checked on my bait hive (a grotty old woodpeckered bb that caught a large prime this time last year)

It appears pied wagtails have got in first, dont know who was more suprised, me or her !

Latest posts

Back