What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had swarm cells in one of my hives, 2 queens in 1 hive possible supercedure, some hives crazy with nectar and pollen coming in and 1 hive started to reduce brood and less activity.

They're keeping me on my toes.

I'm sure this is part of the problem ... new beekeepers beware ... if there is still plenty of forage about (and there certainly is where I live) they may NOT need feeding yet ... wait and watch ... get the supers off and see what they are putting away in the brood box before you start thinking about feeding them.

Two people on here this week with swarm cells in the hive and still reports of swarms in bushes and trees .... if your bees swarm at this time of the year you have a very weak colony to go into winter.

Only feed when you are sure they need it ...

Apologies for the newbie question-
Does feeding when there's a flow on make them more likely to swarm?

Lifted the lids off all mine today . I want to get the supers off them sharpish so I can treat but there's still a huge balsam flow on here and every space cell is filled with nectar.The 1 hive I inspected properly which was a large cast that arrived in a bait hive in the 2nd week of July has completely filled a brood and a half with brood and honey,they are so short of space they were putting up swarm cells! Destroyed them all and removed a few frames of honey and replaced with starter strips,hopefully that will keep them busy.

Really has been an incredibly good year around these parts and it's still going on!

:winner1st:

Apologies for the newbie question-
Does feeding when there's a flow on make them more likely to swarm?

In that it will take up more space, giving queen less room to lay, then yes, it could encourage swarming. Getting late now for swarms but still a few about. Why would you feed when there is a flow on? Ensuring sufficient stores is a fine balancing act, Any time of year.

There doesn't seem to be much here in Cheshire for the bees at the mo, I looked in mine today and some are well short of stores. Maybe some ivy later looks like back to Aldi for more sugar !
and looks like winter preparations with MAQS strips all round any time now .

Dave

Lifted the lids off all mine today . I want to get the supers off them sharpish so I can treat but there's still a huge balsam flow on here and every space cell is filled with nectar.The 1 hive I inspected properly which was a large cast that arrived in a bait hive in the 2nd week of July has completely filled a brood and a half with brood and honey,they are so short of space they were putting up swarm cells! Destroyed them all and removed a few frames of honey and replaced with starter strips,hopefully that will keep them busy.

Really has been an incredibly good year around these parts and it's still going on!

:winner1st:

Must be a Mancunian year!
Balsam seems to be never ending

In that it will take up more space, giving queen less room to lay, then yes, it could encourage swarming. Getting late now for swarms but still a few about. Why would you feed when there is a flow on? Ensuring sufficient stores is a fine balancing act, Any time of year.

Ok - thanks

Took the last of the supers off and nadired those that aren't yet ripe. The ivy is just coming into flower here so just in time. Sorted through a few unites done last week. Queens all safe and sound.
Echoing what others are saying, lots of pollen coming in but the brood boxes are still quite light.

Exactly ... the need to think about what the bees need rather than just doing things because the books, another beekeeper, the BBKA, the bloke down the pub etc. tells you that you should is a steep learning curve in beekeeping. Learning to look for what is going on with your bees and what is in the hive is so important ... Every area is different, every colony is different, the weather differs, the forage differs - even the bees themselves are different.

Do things because the bees need them - not because the calendar says you should...

Split fourteen hives to make up overwinter nuc's, the queens should be here on Friday ready to introduce. I found a nuc box with all the bees dead inside and in front which looks like colony collapse, a few bees wandering around mostly bald this was a swarm that took up residence of its own accord.

Checked my hives today, Bl**dy typical my best hive which has gone all summer without even thinking of swarming has decided they are going to supercede. Oh well its never dull keeping bees.

Got 1 nuc at present from a cast swarm hoping to over winter it. Already ordered an over wintered nuc for next year so plan is for 4 hives by next winter.
Today set out 20' x 16' area of my allotment set a fence around it and started to level it out, set in scaffold posts for framework to seat Upton 6 hives. Much work left to do but it will look good when done.
Had the dog with me good job my bees are so placid every time the dog stood looking into the hive the foragers were queueing up waiting to get in not one attempt to sting
Wingy

Split fourteen hives to make up overwinter nuc's, the queens should be here on Friday ready to introduce. I found a nuc box with all the bees dead inside and in front which looks like colony collapse, a few bees wandering around mostly bald this was a swarm that took up residence of its own accord.

Collapsed colony due to CBPV by the sounds of it not CCD

Got 1 nuc at present from a cast swarm hoping to over winter it. Already ordered an over wintered nuc for next year so plan is for 4 hives by next winter.
Today set out 20' x 16' area of my allotment set a fence around it and started to level it out, set in scaffold posts for framework to seat Upton 6 hives. Much work left to do but it will look good when done.
Had the dog with me good job my bees are so placid every time the dog stood looking into the hive the foragers were queueing up waiting to get in not one attempt to sting
Wingy

My lady friend has a Staffy x Whippet that will sit at the entrance of the Nuc playfully killing bees as they pop out, she is oblivious to the pain or stings so the nuc had to be moved, after that the little devil sat for hours watching the entrance of a empty bait hive waiting for a kill..

Sorry CBPV is what I meant ( Been listening to the archers to much).

My lady friend has a Staffy x Whippet that will sit at the entrance of the Nuc playfully killing bees as they pop out, she is oblivious to the pain or stings so the nuc had to be moved, after that the little devil sat for hours watching the entrance of a empty bait hive waiting for a kill..

:laughing-smiley-014

Not a very good beekeeping dog then! Could you tweak her training for efficient wasp duty though on the other hand?

Got a call today - big swarm taken up residence in a shed. Will pick them up at the weekend.

And my bees are busy feeding from 3 nearby fields full of yellow flowering mustard.

Weighed all hives and nucs. Stopped all feeding as the flow we have on appears sufficient to fill hives to brim (HB)

Average weight of Langs # rose from 29kg on 22nd August to 37.5kg... near enough to my target.
Average weight of nucs rose from 11.9kg to 12.8Kg.
TBH rose from 26.3kg to 36kg

# floor plus broodbox+super plus CB. Some were over 40KG and too heavy to lift without injury - called them 40kg

Now to weigh
overwintering mini nucs

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back