What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant let's hope for a good strong colony to go into winter, it is nice to hear good news now and again.

Cheers millet after following some of you're threads and others I defiantly didn't want to go down the road of laying workers! I will be trying again next year though after more research :)

Just hoovered up a tennis ball sized European hornets' nest in my yew tree 2m from two of my hives. Sorry guys, but too close for comfort.

just looked at one of my last mini nucs and three seem ok from the entrance and one empty robbed out, just have to sit on my hands as im desperate for these last queens.

There are times when you know you are being stupid - last night was one of them. Went to association apiary after work to put on clearer boards. Went to light my smoker and discovered my blow torch was out of gas. Mmm, no shops anywhere near, no other form of lighter in my kit . . . oh I'll just be quick it'll be OK. You all know what happened next . . . :ohthedrama:

On the 14th of July, I posted that I had done a paper combine of a Drone Laying hive with a Q+ hive.
I checked the hive yesterday and found the Q still alive and BIAS. The paper had been held down above the Q+ super with an excluder. There were a lot of dead drones on this excluder. Sorted the hive out, and hope for some RBW and HB nectar to come in during the next few weeks.

On the 14th of July, I posted that I had done a paper combine of a Drone Laying hive with a Q+ hive.
I checked the hive yesterday and found the Q still alive and BIAS. The paper had been held down above the Q+ super with an excluder. There were a lot of dead drones on this excluder. Sorted the hive out, and hope for some RBW and HB nectar to come in during the next few weeks.

Congratulations on the merge. Our own drones are overrated as our queens will invariably mate with someone elses[emoji6]the drones are not long for this world regardless as we head into August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most of the Willow herb around here is going to seed, at this rate the Ivy will be out before the end of August.

Spent a few hours looking into all the colonies. Looks like most of the queens have taken a week or so off and some colonies are low on pollen. Lot of balsam bees on the landing boards and a good few have pollen with them which is good news.
One, maybe two more brood checks and it's winter time :(
One split, doing well when last looked in ten days ago, has emergency cells...
:( :(
Grrrrrr. Mum was a good queen. I must have damaged the queen....never done that before.

cutting out queen cells yesterday, adding live virgins today. last graft has taken well, another 40 cells in back up if needed, and forecast for good settled weather next week for mating, if it works like last year, Phew!! still some u hatched and hatched drones in product hives so we should be ok. all coming to an end now, harvesting and feeding. Actually looking forward to a quieter period.

Today I learned why it's important to take your rings off before carrying out an inspection. I got a sting through the nitrile glove into my ring finger, which is now as thick as my thumb.

Clearer board under the last super I will extract this year [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've seen Newcastle lasses out on the razzle on a bitterly cold winter Saturday night. You can suffer hypothermia just watching what they wear. :)

Great entertainment though.
You should see what they get up to in the car park near the Tuxedo Princess :eek::drool5:

looked at all my hives loads of wasps around but now useing Under floor entrance floors
got my brother to make me 5 no wasps at all in them but 2 without got wasps in need more mesh, last year i lost 3 hives to wasps even though i redused entrance so up to now im winning

Marked a couple of thousand young drones among a myriad of other jobs.

Cut most of my privet hedge then sat in the house looking out at the bloody rain! Starting to really piss me off now, three bloody weeks of it. Wind is howling its more like a November night, someone did mention it was August mind..

Back